Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Feeling naked without my Norton

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

Okay, so my Norton trial run ran out and I'm stuck with WD for the time being on my new W8 Notebook.  So the question is, is that good enough?  I did a little research,

but as is often the case, the info is ambiguous or uninformed, even if well-intentioned.  What I'm thinking of doing is getting the pro version of SuperAntiSpyware, since it's already on my computer and it offers real-time protection.  Question is, will the real-time protection that it offers with my Windows Defender be good enough?

So that's what I need to know:  First, is running with WD only good enough; and if not, would WD+SA be good enough?

Neophyte

Edited by ComputerNeophyte, 21 November 2013 - 09:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

Windows Defender on Windows 8 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows 8 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on previous operation systems and uses the same virus definition updates.

Microsoft is adding a bunch of significant new security features in Windows 8, including Early Launch Anti Malware (ELAM), Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI), and the first edition of Windows Defender to protect not just against malware but also against viruses...Until Windows 8, Windows Defender protected against spyware only. Now, it also takes on viruses and other breeds of malware..

Windows 8 Security: Defender Antivirus
Windows Defender on Windows 8 - Introduction and FAQs
Windows 8: new and improved security features
Windows Defender and Windows SmartScreen

Since Windows 8 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it may be disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. If you want to use Windows 8 Defender you need to completely uninstall the third-party anti-virus and activate it.If you want to use another anti-virus it is recommended to disable Windows 8 Defender before installing a different antivirus software.

You may also want to read:
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection, auto-Scanning, auto-updates or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. However, it does offer technology to deal with some rootkit infections so it gives you another tool to use as getting a second opinion or in the event of malware infection where some of your tools may be disabled.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

Thanks, that was great info.  I feel foolish, I forgot that running two real-time AV's won't work; that's why my name is Neophyte--LOL.  I'm thinking I'll run with WD and do manual scans as needed with the other weapons in my arsenal, like MB and SuperAntiSpyware.   I'll consider it an experiment.  What a wonderful world it would be if we didn't have to worry about evil-doers and their malware, the computer would run so much more efficiently. 

Thanks, Neophyte

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

You're welcome.

Yes, sometimes you have to experiment and find the combo most suitable for your use and your system. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone.

#5 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

Quietman7,  you help us beginners so much.  My question, could you, would you recommend two free programs that you personally feel might be the most comprehensive in coverage for beginners and that don't cancel each other out?    I don't know how one could distinguish real-time coverage and any other.    Appreciate the bits of info I can pick up.   This WD - is it a program I could install on my Dell 610 XP?  I'm trying to learn a lot before 4/08/14 since I'm wandering in a forest of question marks.  But this subject here - virus/mal/spyware - is for now. 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

Quietman7, you help us beginners so much. My question, could you, would you recommend two free programs that you personally feel might be the most comprehensive in coverage for beginners and that don't cancel each other out?

Malwarebytes Pro and WinPatrol...see the above link for Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

This WD - is it a program I could install on my Dell 610 XP?

Although it uses the same name (Windows Defender), Windows Defender 8 was created for (built in) the Windows 8 operating system and is similar to Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) which is used on older systems prior to Windows 8.

#7 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for the above.  I was just reading your post on high CPU usage with McAfee - guess that's why I get so many notifications every time I'm online.  Baby steps.  Thanks again.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

You're welcome.