Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager Disabled

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 italiangirl409

italiangirl409

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:50 PM

My Task Manager has not worked for weeks.  I have tried every virus scan, and nothing has caught it.  When I try to access Task Manager, I get a box that comes up:  taskmgr.exe - Bad Image.  Inside the box says

C:\Windows\system32\UTILDLL.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.  Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

Now my printer is not working, either.  I am not sure if the two are related or coindidental, but I have been told this could possibly be a virus.  I am considering a System Recovery, but any asistance you could offer before I resolve to start completely over would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

Have you made any changes prior to having this issue,(ie, updates,etc)? Have you tried to do a System Restore prior to experiencing the Task Manager problem?

You could run System File Checker. Click the Start ORB / in the Search Line Type Command / Right Click on the Command Prompt from the programs list / Select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR / In the command prompt type sfc /scannow (please note space between sfc and /scannow) hit enter and allow to run. This will attempt to repair or replace any missing or corrupt files.

Good Luck

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

1) Use system restore to return to a point before the problem appeared or

2) Run sfc /scannow (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833)

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

She has posted another forum topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/514911/task-manager-disabled/

#5 italiangirl409

italiangirl409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

The System Restore did not work.  It did not have the option to restore to a point before the problem.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

Okay, then I suggest you proceed with sfc /scannow

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

As mentioned you also have a topic about this same issue here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/514911/task-manager-disabled/ in Am I Infected.

Please continue in that topic. In order to avoid confusion and delays in the help process this topic is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users