Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly built PC w/Windows 8.1 OEM regularly BSODs

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bair

bair

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

So my son and I recently built his first desktop PC and installed Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM.  But it encounters BSODs regularly, multiple times some days and not on other days.  Doesn't seem to matter if you're heavy gaming or just sitting there idle.  The BSODs seem to blaim all sorts of things...

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area (win32k.sys)
    system_thread_not_handled

memory_managment

So here is what we've tried:

a )  We've uninstalled everything we would consider optional (Logitech camera, Live 5 Update from MSI, MSI supercharger app, Intel Smart Update, etc)

b )  We're running MalwareBytes and scans come up clean on C: (SSD) and E: (HDD)

c )  We're running AVG and scans come up clean on C: (SSD) and E: (HDD)

d )  Windows Update has nothing for us and all drivers on the system (BIOS, everything) are latest.

e )  We ran MemTest86+ and got through 4 passes with no errors.

I'm not sure what information would be useful for folks.  've attached some of the files here:

1)  Minidumplog output

2)  The last 5 dmp files on the system

3)  speccy output

Any suggestions on where we go next?

Thanks!

Bair

Attached Files

Edited by bair, 21 November 2013 - 06:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

Bair please remove that speccy.txt from your post, it reveals your valid Windows activation key and that should not be shared with any one.

If the same speccy.txt is in your dropbox remove that to.

Repost a new one if you wish, but make sure you remove your windows product key before you do.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can help you in a few minutes after I read through what you have already provided.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 November 2013 - 10:59 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 bair

bair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

Bruce,

Thanks for the warning - I cleaned out Dropbox and updated the attached to not include the key.

Bair

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

Hi

Please upload the actual crash dump files.

You will find the crash dump files inside C:\Windows\Minidump folder. To copy the dumps, disable "User Account Control" first. Otherwise you may receive a permission error. After disabling UAC, copy and zip all the .dmp files inside the minidump folder and create an archive . Either attach the zip with next reply using "More reply options --> Attach files" or use a free file hosting site. 

#5 bair

bair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:35 AM

The dumps.7z.txt attached above is the first three .dmp files under C:\Windows\Minidump\I've added a dump_files.zip file to the attached list above and under Dropbox with all of the .dmp files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9x2klxsbaikdmyk/c0eqsInW1L?n=28716106

Edited by bair, 21 November 2013 - 06:37 AM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

Hi

Please try the below steps.

:step1: Update SSD firmware.

Samsung Magician Software : http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads/Samsung_Magician_v421.zip

Latest Firmware : http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads/Samsung_SSD_840_Pro_DXM05B0Q.zip

How to update Firmware : http://www.storagereview.com/how_to_upgrade_samsung_ssd_firmware

:step2: Remove AVG as a test.

AVG firewall driver can be seen on the raw call stack of one of the crash dumps. Please uninstall it at least as a test. After removing it from "Control Panel" , use the official tool to remove the remnants.

http://download.avg.com/filedir/util/support/avg_remover_stf_x64_2014_4116.exe

Until the issue is resolved, only use "Windows defender" as the main AV program.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3466684/how-turn-on-defender-in-windows-8/

If the issue continues, please upload the latest crash dump with next reply.

#7 bair

bair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

Samsung Magician came back with...

Curently Installed Firmware: DXM05B0Q

It seems there is no need to install the Samsung_SSD_840_Pro_DXM05B0Q.zip

I've gone ahead and removed AVG per your directions. 

I'll update if and when a BSOD occurs but right now the only change is AVG being uninstalled. 

#8 bair

bair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

So we're still getting BSODs and I've attached the next one here.

Attached Files

Edited by bair, 23 November 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#9 bair

bair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

Here are more...

Attached Files

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:12 PM

Hi

New crash dump shows Bugcheck 1A Memory Management.

BugCheck 1A, {41287, 1000001, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+99d3 )

There is no third party drivers blamed in any of the crash dumps you uploaded. However i checked them for incompatible drivers but none can be found. All peripheral drivers are seems to be up to date so the issue seems to be hardware related.

Which version of "Memtest86+" you are used ?. New generation Intel CPU based systems require "Memtest86+ 5.01" to properly test the modules.

http://www.memtest.org/download/5.01/memtest86+-5.01.iso.zip

Also four passes is not adequate to confirm a module as not faulty. Seven passes is the recommended bare minimum. More passes will give better result so please rerun the test and complete 7-10 passes.

#11 bair

bair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

We did 15 continues passes with no errors present. We did this using the MemTest86+ 5.01 (which was not what we had used before.)

Is there a way to look for errors on the two storage devices to be confident we don't have a problem with either the SSD or HDD?

Edited by bair, 25 November 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#12 bair

bair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

Here are the next BSODS.

Attached Files

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hi

You can use "Seagate Seatool" to diagnose the HDD but there is no such a utility is available for the SSD.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

Run a "Long Generic" test to do a full surface scan.

Also run "Prime95" to test CPU stability.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/100352-hardware-stress-test-prime95.html

Select "SmallFFT" test and enable "Advanced --> Round off checking" (see reply #1). 

124395d1379290622t-hardware-stress-test-

87940d1280318100-hardware-stress-test-pr

Run the test for 3-4 hours. Result will be saved in a file named "Result.txt". Please upload it with the next reply. 

#14 matt5019

matt5019

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

I have a couple of simple suggestions. It seems like your having a hardware issue. If you have the time, I would suggest trying the PC without the SSD Drive. Another thing to you can try is the manufacturer website for the memory and motherboard manufacturer and see if there is a verified list of compatible memory and motherboards for each. Memtest will usually find a memory error in the first few runs. When I worked for a large scale Linux HPC Vendor we would run memtest for 24 hours, and we would find errors happening beyond the 12th hour. have you or your son changed the timing setting in the BIOS. If its set to an aggressive or performance mode you can try reducing to a baseline or compatibility mode.

#15 bair

bair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

Here is another one :(

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users