Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Restarts Constantly

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TheAntiVirus

TheAntiVirus

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:16 PM

Whenever I decide to run a scan, whether it be adware, spybot, norton, avast, whatever u can think of..the laptop restarts. I had previously went to the hijack forums and found that my log is clean, so it doesnt appear to be malware or virus related. However, this problem persisted to the point where my internet connection was disabled and the computer ran very slow. I get the all common blue screen, then it says somethin about 'FAT32' and gives me 10 seconds before it runs a disk/driver check. then after the computer loads and tells me of the error, it says this:

C:\DOCUME~1\Jonathan\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERa8d8.dir00\Mini040806-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Jonathan\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERa8d8.dir00\sysdata.xml

Or

C:\DOCUME~1\Jonathan\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4488.dir00\Mini043006-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Jonathan\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4488.dir00\sysdata.xml

There could and probably were more but I have only recently started to record the error descriptions.
Now im at college so having a working computer is essential. Please someone help me fix this problem. It restarts constantly, whenever, wherever it wants to. Sometimes my favorites get deleted, usually the web site history always gets deleted. Please, any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:33 AM

For starters, clean out your temp file. Go to the Start Button and then click Run and type:

%temp%

. . . and hit enter. You will now be in your temporary folder. Go to the Tools menu and click Folder Options, then the View menu and enable "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files." Then, on the Edit menu, choose "Select All" and hit your delete button, and when asked if you want to delete all the files, click Yes.

There will probably be a few files that will not delete. It will delete all the files up to that file. If so, select all again, hold down the control key and uncheck the file that would not delete. These are usually files that are in use and Windows keeps you from deleting them so that you won't damage the program that's currently running. Do this as many times as necessary until the only files left are the ones which will not delete.

Compare those files with the files listed in your previous message and make sure the ones you listed as problems are gone. If not, post back with the files that are still there and we'll go from there.

#3 TheAntiVirus

TheAntiVirus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:07 PM

Thank you for your help, but it still is not fixed.
I did exactly what you said and everything deleted without a problem.
Then it blue screened and restarted again.
It rebooted with the usual 'checking for consistency' as it looked at the C drive.
It gave me this error code

C:\DOCUME~1\Jonathan\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERbe11.dir00\Mini050306-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Jonathan\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERbe11.dir00\sysdata.xml

What should I do now?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:40 PM

What are the error messages on the blue screens?

What you have posted are not error messages but rather files that may list the reason for the minidump.

Minidumps are created when an application causes a critical system error and Windows is forced to reboot.

#5 TheAntiVirus

TheAntiVirus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:25 PM

The first time the blue screen flashes when it restarts it just shows some information. Ill try to remember some of it but it is only shown for half a second. The blue screen that shows after the reboot just says its checking the C drive for errors and gives me 10 seconds to press a key to skip it, before it checks automatically. Ill try to gather more information next time.Is there somewhere I can check on the computer to tell u what the errors are? Assuming these errors are recorded somewhere.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:36 PM

If that occurs just after rebooting that sounds like checkdisk running.

Let it run until completed and then post exactly what it says when finished.

It sounds like something running on your system is causing a "fatal error" and causing a reboot.

Let it run checkdisk and on the next reboot start tappung the F8 key before the WIndows screen starts. That will take you to a menu that should let you select safe mode with the arrow keys.

Choose safe mode and see if it boots into Windows without shutting down.

If it does, click start, then run, and type msconfig into the box and click "enter".

Choose the "startup" tab at the top and uncheck every box that has any program except for your firewall, anti-virus program and explorer.exe.

Click "apply", and then click on the "General" tab at the top left.
Put a dot in the "normal startup" button and click "OK".

Then shutdown and reboot the computer.

What happens?

#7 TheAntiVirus

TheAntiVirus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:43 AM

I at first waited for the system to restart on itself to follow your suggestions. Then I realized that it ALWAYS restarts when a scan is run, so I started running adware and it restarted. Unfortunately, I tried to access safe mode but it would not follow through. I was stuck at the screen that said something to the effect of

system32/windows/drivers

It would stay on that screen for a minute before shutting off, not restarting. I tried to do this several more times, but the computer would not have it. Then I gave up and tried to start windows normally. Next it restarted before I could reach the screen where I would type in my password to log in. I attempted to start normally a few more times, and on the final time it said something to the effect of

C:
File system is FAT32
Windows is disk checking for consistency

/pagefile.sys entry contains a nonvalid link.

That was all I could write out before it listed an abundance of numbers and started to work.
Evidently I am denied safe mode, what should I do now?

And I thank everyone for their time.

Edited by TheAntiVirus, 04 May 2006 - 02:14 AM.

#8 TheAntiVirus

TheAntiVirus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:54 AM

I would like it if you guys were to continue assisting me. This is a significant problem and it can only get worst.
I tried deleting all the stuff after running %temp% and I got a folder that wouldnt delete called

WER4348.dir00

And I am still unable to enter safe mode. Nothings changed. Please help!

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:39 AM

If you're still able to get into Windows - check your Event Viewer using this how-to guide: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Also, search your hard drive for the MiniDump files. If you find them you can analyze them using the procedure here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

If you can't find the MiniDump files, you may want to cause a crash (by using the scanner) and then save the MiniDump logfile before completing the Microsoft Error Report (your system may be deleting them after they're sent).

The information from the error messages and MiniDump files will enable someone to focus the troubleshooting for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:51 AM

A lot of people are having this problem and it seems to be usually hardware or driver related. Often, it begins to happen after adding RAM. So the causes and solutions vary, and include:
  • RAM bad, replace
  • bad file in Norton Antivirus
  • processor overheating
  • hard drive overheating
  • bad video driver

#11 firenze

firenze

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:16 PM

Hi Folks,

I am having the same sort of problem where my PC constantly restarts itself.
It has been running slow for a month.
The mouse is often non-responsive.
It seemed ike the OS is off some where busy doing something else
or that their is not enough memory for it to process the mouse commands.
Sometimes it freezes and then I have to reboot it.
I get an error message that says a serious error as occurred. Windows is shutting down.
It takes as much as 10 - 20 minutes for it to restart.
I thought it might be a virus. I have been using California Associates.
I have tried to run a complete system scan but it nevers completes before the computer restarts itself.
I tried running the scan in safe mode but it never finishes.
I have turned off system restore and gotten it to run fairly smoothly for up to two days.
But then it does he restarting all over again.
Does anyone know if this is a virus? If so which one? Or how do I find out which one?
Is this a problem with the OS?
Or the start up procedures?
Or a hardware problem?
And how to figure it out.
Many thanks for any ideas and how tos.

#12 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:42 PM

Hi firenze! Welcome to BC!

It would be best for you to start your own thread to deal with your issues as we try to talk TheAntiVirus through their problems.

Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#13 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:47 PM

TheAntiVirus, if your computer still boots, go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery Settings

Uncheck Automatically Restart

Click Apply and then OK

Now when you receive a blue screen the computer will pause on it and you will have to reboot manually.

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users