Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't perform a Windows Update (KB2844289) or Upgrade to 8.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'm currently having issues with a Windows update. It's to update .NET Framework 3.5. I've tried everything I can think of.

I keep running into an error. 80073712 for Security Update for Windows (KB2844289).

I've done a sfc /scannow, which found a few corrupted files but was able to fix them (ran it two more times after that to make sure).

I've run a chkdsk /r and I'll post the log for that.

I'm currently running a dism check, which I know will run into an error because I've done it about three or four times already, just doing it again to post the error. I run it with the /healthcheck option which tells me it's repairable but then I'll try the /restorehealth and it tells me it cannot.

And the Windows 8.1 update does not show up in the Store (why they didn't include it as a Windows update doesn't make sense to me).

Another thing I tried to do was turn off the Windows Update service, rename the SoftwareDistribution folder then start the Windows Update service again to see if that would fix the update issue, no luck.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

Here's an update:

Here is what DISM tells me:

Running with the /scanhealth option:

The componet store is reparable.
The operation completed successfully.

Here it is running with the /restorehealth option:

The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the componet store cannot be repaired.

Error: 0x800f081f

DISM failed. No operation was performed.
For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

And I'll upload the log file.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dism.log   100.19KB   2 downloads

#3 Bad Caps

Bad Caps

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

Win 8.1 won't show in the App Store until you have fully updated Win8.0, so you may want to try an 8.0 update first. You may want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the update in question through Control Panel > Programs and Features > Installed Updates, if it shows, and then run Windows Update again. 

#4 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

The problem is that I cannot perform the Windows update.

#5 Bad Caps

Bad Caps

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

Well, I'll defer to the more knowledgeable members at this point.  However, what I have always done in the past when faced with a broken OS, is to do a backup and then reinstall it.

#6 masx

masx

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:54 AM

You might have to REFRESH your Win 8, which brings it back the beginning without destroying your own files. I have done it 3 times to solve problems, so it is not too hard.

Once refreshed, then try Windows Update again. There will be lots! And even then it might NOT install the only one needed, which in my case was is KB2871389. But do them all anyway.

Once they are installed, reboot, then go to the Store and find the link for 8.1, It will take a while to install as it is almost a new OS. (You might want to disable any sleep or shut down insttructions first.)

(You might want to run Win update again for 8.1)

You'll have a kind of Start button back but I downloaded the free Classic Shell 4.02  from ZD/NET downloads which made it a lot better.

I also found that Norton and Google Chrome just screw up Win 8 & 8.1!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users