Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swapped OS from Windows 8 to Windows 7 Alienware and lost files..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChompyChomp

ChompyChomp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Before the swap I placed all of my files into an external HDD. I did this by moving the Users file into the new HDD. Upon installing my new OS, I transfered the Users file from the external into my PC again and dragged and dropped everything into their corresponding places (i.e. Documents into Documents, Downloads into Downloads, and so on). Now a couple of my files made it through to places I can locate them, but my more hidden stuff like MS Office and my Adobe software are no where to be found. I also had a decent selection of Steam games downloaded that were supposedly in the files I transferred and my PC says I have to download them all again. Would anyone be able to tell me how I can find my poor lost files again? I need the first two for school.

Thank you for your time!

-Chomp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Programs like MS Office and Adobe have to be reinstalled, they cannot be copied over.  The information stored in C:\Users\%UserName% is data specific to the user, Favorites, Documents and Desktop.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

You want to use the migration tool to move user files to another machine.

#4 ChompyChomp

ChompyChomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Programs like MS Office and Adobe have to be reinstalled, they cannot be copied over.  The information stored in C:\Users\%UserName% is data specific to the user, Favorites, Documents and Desktop.

That would also explain my lack of Steam games. My only issue is I'm pretty sure my codes for the software got thrown out some time ago..

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

If you still have the original install discs for MS Office and your Adobe software etc, you should have the activation numbers on the packaging. If you installed by doing a download, you should have an on-line account with the sources of the software and these accounts should still exist, and they will re-activate the software for you - if you can remember the user-name and password you used.

Steam - all you need is your account log-in and it will reinstall your games (1) so long as you have a reasonable internet connection, and (2) a certain amount of time. The last time I had to rebuild my Steam games it was a 2Gb download, and that was for just one game.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users