Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get service pack 2 so i can get service pack 3

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lautry

lautry

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

I recently had to reinstall xp service pack 1 on an old dell computer. The computer came with sp1 and an xp1 disk. The install went ok but when i go to windows update it says i need service pack 2 in order to run windows update. The windows update site has me  download a .doc file that has a download button (I think) My computer does not have Word loaded so it opens in notepad with no graphics. I'm stuck. Where can i find sp2 so i can load sp3 and all other updates. I found video and internet drivers on the Dell website.

Thanks for any help.

Larry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

go here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/service-packs-download#sptabs=xp

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:22 AM

...when i go to windows update it says i need service pack 2 in order to run windows update...Where can i find sp2 so i can load sp3 and all other updates...

Skip downloading/installing SP2 and d/l & install SP3 as service packs are cumulative (SP3 includes all hot-fixes patches, etc of SP0, 1 & 2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_pack#Incremental_and_cumulative_SPs

...As of 2013 recent service packs for Microsoft Windows are cumulative. This means that the problems that are fixed in a service pack are also fixed in later service packs. For example, Windows XP SP3 contains all the fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)...

Edited by Union_Thug, 21 November 2013 - 02:23 AM.

#4 lautry

lautry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for your help. After a struggle at the download center I was finally able to find a link to download SP3 for network professionals even though it was for a single computer, it worked. I think I should have reformatted the drive before i loaded SP1 then SP3, because the computer is incredibly slow now on downloads from the internet. Thanks both of you for your help.

Larry

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

You're welcome. :hello:

...the computer is incredibly slow now on downloads from the internet...
What browser? Did you update to Internet ExPLODEr 8?  If not, then...

Download & install Internet Explorer 8 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8

Download & install Cumulative Security Update for IE8 for XP (KB2888505) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41074

Then go back to run & install the rest of Windows Updates.

Edited by Union_Thug, 22 November 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#6 lautry

lautry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for the help. The computer is so slow it is not possible to download at this time. When i check the task manager processes, one svchost.exe is taking 99% of system resources constantly. I ran a scan with security essentials but no viruses. Any help on pinning down this one service would be helpful. I thought the initial recovery disc would have done a clean install but i was wrong. Old remnants and files exist on the c drive. The drive only had 32MB to begin with. It is now 30% free. I'm thinking of formatting the drive and starting over. I should just throw this old piece of junk away, but i am learning from it. BTW, it was running ok on SP1. The problem began when i updated to SP3.

Thanks again.

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

...When i check the task manager processes, one svchost.exe is taking 99% of system resources constantly...

The problem is a recurring one related to the Cumulative Security Update for IE8 for XP, (which I linked to previously, see the following links):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515055/windows-update-not-working-after-installing-sp3/?p=3214567
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/514140/svchostexe-using-100-cpu/?p=3208664
http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/windows-xp-update-locks-machines-svchost-redlined-100-fix-it-kb-2879017-230733
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170321-anyone-able-to-get-or-check-ms-november-2013-updates/?hl=%2Bsvchost+%2B100%25

#8 lautry

lautry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

An update.

I installed Process Explorer and the 99% culprit is "generic host process for windows" Many, many processes are listed under this category. Where do i go from here? How would i further narrow down the service? For instance i opened microsoft update, then suspended the generic process and the update search would not start. i had to resume the generic process and the update search began but all system resources were consumed again.

Thanks

#9 lautry

lautry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

oops, posted the update before your reply came in

#10 lautry

lautry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

well, the saga continues. I download the update, it only gives me the option to save, not run. i open the file and windows says it can't open the .msu file and that i should select a program to open it. seems like i'm beat at every turn. So, how would you run a downloaded update?

Larry

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

...the computer is incredibly slow now on downloads from the internet...
What browser? Did you update to Internet Explorer 8?

Dunno how you got an MSU file from the links I gave you UNLESS you downloaded the wrong version of IE8.

I'll ask again. What version of Internet Explorer do you currently have on your system? 

If other than IE8 please download this file  >>>direct download link to IE8 32bit for Win XP<<< and install it. Reboot.

Then download this file >>>direct d/l link to IE8 Cumulative Security update for IE8 Win XP 32bit(Nov 2013)<<< Reboot again.
Then try Windows Update and check if svchost.exe is still going wild @ 100%.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Union_Thug, 23 November 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#12 lautry

lautry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

I believe the MSU file came from the link because i had IE6 installed instead of IE8. IE8 would never install as it would hang "updating core elements" I finally find an IE6 link to install both kb2888505 and kb2879017 (mentioned in your links). After the kb installs, microsoft update kicked in and it is currently updating 137 updates. It does appear to be working now and i will provide an update post in the am.

IE8 is one of the updates  installed. Thanks again for your help. Couldn't have got this far without you.

Larry

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

Excellent, thanks for posting back! :thumbup2:

#14 lautry

lautry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

Yep - it's fixed. Let me summarize for someone who may have the same trouble

An old Dell XP machine with a lost password.

Reinstalled XP SP1 with old disc provided, had to go online at Dell to get drivers for video and internet, machine working ok

Went to update, could not run update because SP2 needed, could not find an SP2 link that would work

Went directly to SP 3 and had to install "SP3 for network and professionals"

System then hung up with 99% resources consumed by "svshost.exe"

Then installed the two kb's under the IE6 link, because svchost problem would not allow IE8 install

System then ran update and installed many updates - everything ok.

Thanks to Union_Thug and this forum, because it saved this machine from the junkpile and more importantly, I learned oh so much.

Larry

#15 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

the same thing happened to me, i had an OEM machine and needed the sp3, speccy was saying i had sp2, ms was interpreting that i did not. i had to do an oem recovery to get back to sp1, then the sp3 upgrade went down smoothly. it was nice to do a recovery anyway, who knows how much malware was on the thing. my second hard drive saved me from losing anything.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users