Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow when typing e-mails on Aol.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 bstangosr

bstangosr

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

When I start typing e-mails, it seems that I need to wait for the PC to catch up with my typing. Sometime it misses letters and I need to go  back and reenter the missing letters. Now, I find that when I go into Task Manager 3 or 4 of the IEXPLOR.EXE are in the very high numbers in the memory (private working set). Sometimes the numbers are into 200k to 600k. Everything else ins in the 20k area. If I end process in each of these I find that I can return to normal typing. Do you think there is a fix for this? Or do I have a virus? 

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

One possibility is that a add-on may be keeping the multiple instances of IE from closing.

You can check this by right clicking on the IE icon on the taskbar and choose start without add-ons.

If this turns out to be the case you can turn them off one at a time to determine which is the culprit.

Right click on the taskbar and click on the Tools button, then click on Manage add-ons.

Click on All add-ons under Show, then select the add-ons you want to turn off.

Click on Disable, then click on Close.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bstangosr

bstangosr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

Thank you. I will give it a shot and see what happens. I will let you know if that wa the problem.

Bob

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'll be around. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bstangosr

bstangosr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

I disabled all. But still have two iexplore.exe showing one at 300k and the other at 200k. Any ideas?

Bob

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

Do you have IE open when you see these?

If you have IE closed when you see these end the process in the Task Manager.

#7 bstangosr

bstangosr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

Not sure of what you mean. IE open or IE closed. When it is at a high count, I end process and that seems to help, But it does not stay in the lower numbers.

Bob

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

If IE is a startup item then it will be running when the computer boots.  If this is the case click on the IE icon and close the program, then look in the Task Manager to see if it is shown running there.

#9 bstangosr

bstangosr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

You're talking quite above my head. I'm not very good at this stuff. I am running two aol's and fb.I don't know what you mean by "if IE is a startup" and then how do you close IE. Thanks for your patience.

Bob

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

Hi Bod,

There is a list of programs and applications which are started when the computer boots into Windows, these are startup items.

To see what items are included in the startup click on the Start orb, then type msconfig in the Search programs and file box.  This will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose to Run as administrator.  When System Configuration opens, click on the Startup tab.  There you can see what is being started when Windows boots.

IE is Internet Explorer. when it is running you should see the icon for it in the Task Bar, this is at the bottom of the destop on the left side.  If you right click on it you will see the option to Close if it is running.

Once you have done this, right click on the Task Bar and choose Task Manager.  When it opens click on application to see if IE is still running there.  If it is click on it, then click on End Task.

#11 bstangosr

bstangosr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

I did this. When the box comes up it shows 23 items when I hit the start tab. When I right click on the ie in the task bar, it does not show anything to close. In the top section it shows ..

open

open file location

scan with micro soft

unpin from start menu

add to quick launch

am I doing something wrong?

Bob

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

Would this be AOL Desktop Software, or would this be via AOL Webmail?

#13 bstangosr

bstangosr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

How would I know which is which?

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

If you use AOL Webmail you using an internet browser such as IE and you would see the following in your browser address bar: http://mail.aol.com/38203-112/aol-6/en-us/Suite.aspx

If you are using AOL Desktop you will not be using AOL Webmail.

You will instead see something like this:

AOL-Desktop_3.png

#15 bstangosr

bstangosr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Yes this is what I see in the browser.http:/mail.aol.com/38203-112/aol-6/en-us/suit.aspx. so, this is what I'm using....confusing as hell.   What's next?

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users