Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unusual Black Sreen of Death issue. Different than the normal problem.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gharden2911

gharden2911

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

I'm having a very unusual problem going on with a HP computer I'm working on. I'm not sure what could be causing this and currently at a loss for the fix. 

The computer boots to the Windows 7 logo and the screen goes black afterwards. No cursor at all.  Display works fine up until then and the monitor status light still shows a connection.  Tried booting into Safe mode with the same results.  No cursor only a black screen.  Tried last known good config and still get the same results.  Tried booting to a Windows 7 disk and it starts loading the files and about half way through the screen goes black with no cursor.  Currently I'm not able to do anything.  What's odd is when I first powered it on It booted to the login screen.  Being that it's someone else's computer I didn't know the pwrd so I used a pwrd reset utiltiy to reset the passwords.  The problem started after I did that.  What is going on?  At the current state I'm not able to do a restore or anything.  Can't do a repair because it does the same thing when I boot to the windows 7 disks. 

System Details.

HP Pavilion p6802

AMD Athlon II 270

Dual-Core Processor

ATI Radeon HD 4200

750 GB HD

4 GB DD3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gharden2911

gharden2911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

Quick update. I reseated the memory and restarted and was able to get to the built in startup repair. I'll let it run and see what happens.

#3 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Sounds like the password utility you used may have damaged the Windows registry.  Normally loading the Windows 7 disk and running a repair would fix this.  Have you checked on a different monitor just in case?  Also, try running a linux system off a disk loaded boot and see if you can see all the properties/files on the hard drive.  What was the initial reason for them bringing the computer to you for repair?

#4 gharden2911

gharden2911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Sounds like the password utility you used may have damaged the Windows registry.  Normally loading the Windows 7 disk and running a repair would fix this.  Have you checked on a different monitor just in case?  Also, try running a linux system off a disk loaded boot and see if you can see all the properties/files on the hard drive.  What was the initial reason for them bringing the computer to you for repair?

The system was running very slow. The user was unable to download anything from the internet including the Antivirus software (Norton) that his ISP provides for them. System was full of adware, spyware, malware and I was planning to clean it up for them. It was working fine while at his house but just extremely slow.

Half way through the repair the screen turned Gray. I'm getting ready to try the windows 7 disk again.

#5 gharden2911

gharden2911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

The problem appears to be the onboard VGA video. Installed a Quadro internal video card and hooked it up through DVI and the system has booted all the way into windows. Weird because they've never complained about the video before. Maybe the drivers are corrupt.

#6 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

As I mentioned, in cleaning the malware, you sometimes damage the registry which included DLL drivers associations and procedures because the malware either removes the original in place of itself and damages the registry file it was attached to when you rip it out.  Just means make sure once you know it is clean to reinstall the latest drivers as well as do a system file validation check to make sure there isn't a lasting effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users