Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access files after failed Windows 8.1 update

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Welli

Welli

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

I'm going to start this out with an apology, because I am not super technical and don't have a very good understanding of what happened.

I bought a hp laptop a year ago loaded with Windows 8.  A few weeks ago I kept getting a pop up to update to Windows 8.1.  I didn't want to deal with it and kept choosing the "postpone" reply.  I didn't pay a lot of attention to this, but I believe that it had a "countdown", and a few days ago I was busy doing something else and it automatically counted down and started updating to 8.1.  It went through the process, and when it was done, it rebooted and asked for my password.  This is when I realized that I have no idea what my PW is, since I had always used the fingerprint.    

After several wrong password guesses, it then automatically reverted to a previous version of windows, and now none of my files are accessible and anything that I do in the current session will not be saved.

I could kick myself for my idiocy, but there it is.  Are you guys familiar with this, and can anyone advise what my next steps should be to recover my files (some of which are not backed up)?   Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users