Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A new build and wanting to dual boot

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

I am in the process of doing a new build and this is the first time for me. I want a dual boot system with Win XP and Win 7 installed. This being my first build I hope I'm not taking on too much.  I have a thread going in the XP forum with some great info (thanks Louis) but it got totally sidetracked from the original thought.  I was given a link there that is pretty clear on what to do but I'm unsure about a couple of things.  Here is the link for dual boot system

1. Can partitions be formed out of the bios and why do I need several of them?

2. I'm using Win 7 pro and XP mode is available.  Is this sufficient to run 32 bit programs?

Probably will have more.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

rather than trying to get XP working on windows 7 hardware I would say use XP mode, as long as you have decent specs and a good amount of RAM that should be able to run pretty much anything you would want to run on XP.

The problem with running XP on the new system would be drivers, more likely than not you would not be able to get any drivers for the new hardware that work fluidly, so you would have tons of issues, XP mode runs virtually through Win7 so you dont have to worry about drivers.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

You can certainly use dual booting.  You would want to install Windows XP then Windows 7 on a different partition or hard drive.  There are some things you will need to be aware of before doing this...

- Windows XP will be completely leaving Microsoft support in April 2014, you will no longer get any new updates at all.  You will, in effect, be using a dead OS that will become more of a security liability as time wears on.

- Windows 7 boots a little differently than XP and is newer, so you may want to manage the booting process from within 7. 

- Windows 7 has a compatibility mode that will allow you to run XP programs, but it isn't a 100% guarantee.

- Some hardware will not operate at their highest potential under XP.  Graphics cards using more modern versions of DirectX and newer CPU's are two examples.

- For simplicity, you may want to use two different hard drives and keep the two versions of Windows as seperate as possible with programs and configuration.  Only data files, documents, music, videos, should be shared between the two.

3939.png

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

As DJBPace07 stated the easiest way is to get two hard drives. if that is not an option You need to partition the drive into two drive letters.

That must be done at Install time. The BIOS can not do that, The windows Install software can partition and format the drive.

Why do You need two drive letters, One for each Windows?

That is because Windows XP will create a Program Files directory and expect that Windows XP versions of file will be there.

Windows 7 or 8 64Bit will put their own files there and trash the XP versions causing problems. This would include programs such as Internet Explorer.

Try the XP Mode. I never needed it. I am running Windows 7 64Bit and Windows 8 64Bit and excluding Antivirus type software Everything works.

I am running programs going back to the days when XP was the latest with no problems. I just took a look at one I still, use running on the Windows 8 computer, Dated from March 2004 and another going back to April 2004

The things that run into problems are Utility programs form the XP days. I would never try and run Norton utilities for example.

Good Luck

Roger

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

Thank you all for the input.  I have read several items on this and XP mode. I think I will try using the XP mode if necessary and if I were to use dual boot I would put XP on a separate HDD.  I've read that installing XP after Win 7 on dual boot will cause the need to repair the Win 7 boot files.  Can anyone confirm this that may have tried it?

I am turning my old computer over to my wife with XP and will probably make this a dual boot machine.  After the first of the year I will put Win7 on it.

Again, thanks for the help.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

Yes, You need to install the oldest operating system first.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

Thanks Roger, I'll probably not use XP on the new build.

#8 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:34 AM

Received my Corsair case about 4:30 yesterday afternoon and after going through the case info started building about 6 PM.  I had MS Office and another program installed by 11 PM.  Lucky I suppose because it went flawlessly.  A couple of pics.  

Basic specs:  CPU AMD FX6300, Gigabite Mobo, 1 T Seagate HD, 16 GB RAM, enForce 650 Ti graphics, double dvd-rw, card reader

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

1401274_410886649039036_590449777_o.jpg

1404688_410886739039027_358962663_o.jpg

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hi, Probably not Critical, However............

Wireties. I use them wrapped through the plugs where one joins another, Such as the Ones for the Video Card Power. I gently spread the wires in the center of the plug on both and wrap the wireties through so that they can not come apart.

I like things neat and secure.

Good Luck and Enjoy the new Computer.

Thank You for the Pictures

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:02 AM

Yes Roger I did use many wireties prior to closing up.

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hmmm ,just out of curiosity, why do you have 2 optical drives?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#12 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

For copying.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hi Killer

I have two optical drives too.

One is a DVD burner that I use for burning DVDs and Software installs.

The other one is a BluRay burner that I use for Backing up data to BluRay and burning self authored BluRay movies.

That's just the way I prefer it.

For me the Liteon DVD Burner seems to do a better job on CDs and DVDs compared to the Optimized for BluRay, Pioneer BluRay burner. I have a LG 10X BluRay burner too, It was more picky about media. I kept it as a spare since it will burn the Verbatim Media I prefer for longevity. It just hated the BluRay Optical Quantum media that I use for testing.

Anyway, That is my story

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 November 2013 - 01:09 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

Hi Killer

I have two optical drives too.
One is a DVD burner that I use for burning DVDs and Software installs.
The other one is a BluRay burner that I use for Backing up data to BluRay and burning self authored BluRay movies.

That's just the way I prefer it.
For me the Liteon DVD Burner seems to do a better job on CDs and DVDs compared to the Optimized for BluRay, Pioneer BluRay burner. I have a LG 10X BluRay burner too, It was more picky about media. I kept it as a spare since it will burn the Verbatim Media I prefer for longevity. It just hated the BluRay Optical Quantum media that I use for testing.

Anyway, That is my story
Roger

I rarely touch my optical drive nowdays but im contemplating whether to remove it so i can mount a 60mm radiator in the 5.25" bay.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hmm.... I just burned a DVD in two different computers, They were for my Brother. I converted some Video to Two DVDs in the i7 computer and a different one in this AIO computer. That is in the Last Week. It is True I use a lot less media than I used to use. However When You want to send some HD video across the country BluRay does the trick.

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users