Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes After About 5 Mins Of Running

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 U R Insan3

U R Insan3

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:16 PM

I'm posting this topic from my laptop at the moment, but my computer downstairs has been having problems for ages and we're giving it away to my sister and brother and law in a week or so because we're getting a new office computer. So I wanted to fix it up for them the best I could before hand.

When I turn on the computer for the first time in a while It usually runs for about 5-8 Minutes, During this time I try to free up as much space as I can and get done things to try to fix the computer up. (Uninstalling old programs, Disk Clean up, Etc. ) I don't have enough time to defrag by the way :thumbsup: . Then after about 5-8 Minutes the computer will freeze up. I hold down the power button for 5 seconds to shut off the computer manually, then when I go to reboot it, the computer usually freezes it up when the blue bar is running to show the progress of Windows booting up.

If I press F11 I think it is during the begining of the System startup to access the setup, I checked the Health Conditions too check the temperature of the computer, It said it was running at 89 Degrees, So I pulled it out of the cabinet it was in (My basement is freezing by the way) When I did that It then said it was running at 98-101 Degrees, Which didn't make sense to me. I pulled off one of the sides of the computer case to see if that would cool it off a bit, the fan was still running and when i put my hand in the case to feel the temperature it felt mostly room temperature, and colder by metal places. So I'm not sure if the computer is freezing up from heating up, or if it is spyware etc.

Any Ideas? Thanks.
-TJB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:32 PM

Have you updated, and run your antivirus?
Have you run any Spyware/Malware programs?
What Spyware/Malware programs do you use?
Were there any error messages?
What was the exact error message?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:45 PM

Have you updated, and run your antivirus? --- Updated Yes, But A Virus Scan won't fit into 5-8 Minutes Unfortunately.
Have you run any Spyware/Malware programs? --- Not that I can remember, I haven't been on the computer in ages because of this problem, i usually just stick to the main computer or laptop.
What Spyware/Malware programs do you use? --- Ad-Aware and AVG Are on it I believe
Were there any error messages? -- No
What was the exact error message? -- Wasn't One.

Going to be heading to bed soon, So if i don't respond don't count me off as rude :thumbsup: I'll try to get back on before school in the morning.
-TJB

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:30 PM

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
Do you still have the freezing problem in Safe Mode?
If not, reboot into Safe Mode with networking, which will allow access to the internet.
Update your security programs, and run them.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:22 AM

If the freeze comes regularly and after a fairly consistant period of time into the boot it is probably thermal shutdown.
Where are you getting the temps from and what temp is being measured and how?

Make sure there is no dust in the processor fan or the video card fan if any. Be careful how you clean them - don't overspin them if you use canned air.

You can try to eliminate unnecessary startups using Startup Inspector which is far easier than XP's msconfig as it helps identify the application connected with the startup item so you do not disable critical aps or processes.

Startup Inspector
And
Startup Monitor

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 May 2006 - 12:23 AM.

#6 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:52 AM

I tried safe mode before, but all i was trying to do was still uninstall programs. But what you're saying makes sense, I'll try that after school today. Thanks, I'll post back with the updates.

I'll try to get rid of unneccessary startup programs too if I can.

Thanks again.
-TJB

#7 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:56 PM

Alright, I tried booting my computer up in safe mode, and ran the anti virus, and had to go to school so i left it like that. When I got back It said it had run for 16 mins and 7 seconds, and was frozen during scanning. So that didn't work. It hadn't found a virus for the first 5600 files though. Should I specifically search a directory? (System32 or something?)

I'll try the windows startup idea now.

Oh, and I'm getting the temperatures by...

Turn on the Comp > Press DEL > When CMNOS Setup Utility appears > PC Health Status > Enter > Then data pops up

Reads:
System Temp 1 - 26 degress C / 78 degrees F
System Temp 2 - NA
CPU Temp - 40 degrees C / 104 Degrees F
CPU Fan Speed 4017 RPM

Warning temp is at 158 Degrees F

Just ask if you need any more info. I'm trying to download the windowsstartup utility, but my internet cut out so I had to go reconnect the cisco box.

Edited by U R Insan3, 03 May 2006 - 06:17 PM.

-TJB

#8 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:38 PM

Your computer is running as cool as a cucumber. Running at 40C is great. You confused the issue in your first post by not stating whether the temp reading was in C or F.

In this case the problem is purely a matter of software. You could go crazy trying to fix this problem. The best thing to do, by far, is to reinstall the OS. You should have 1 of these 3 thing to do this: 1) an OS reinstall disc; 2) an OS 'recovery' disc; or 3) a restore partition on the hard drive. A restore partition will be indicated by a message put on the screen during boot to press a key to access the recovery program. In any case you need to wipe the drive and start fresh. Be sure to have the drivers for this system available on CD. You should have received a disc with these when you bought the system, but you can download them from the manufacturor's web site.

Once you reinstall the OS you will find that the PC works so much better that you may want to keep it after all. You didn't make any promises, did you ?

#9 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:12 PM

Thanks, I'll try that if I cant get this virus scan to fit in before the computer freezes up, but could you be more specific on where to find the restore patition on the hard drive, I don't believe I have a CD or recover disc. I believe I'm running Windows Xp PROFESSIONAL But, i'm not sure since after installing sp2, the statement that said what it was when windows was booting up went away haha.

And also, Unfortunately it is a promise. It's my dads computer so I really don't have much of a say in it, I wanted to keep it so I could mess around and learn more stuff. Had we kept it and got the new computer, it would be mine in my room =]. But it's alright, my sister and her husband are stuck with laptops atm and i really dont care. =p
-TJB

#10 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:17 PM

Update: Scanned System32 Folder and no viruses showed up. Scanned with AVG Free edition.

Any other specific folders I should scan?
-TJB

#11 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:46 PM

Rawr... I went to update Windows and that computer doesn't have SP2 yet. It takes like 10 minutes to scan what updates I need -.-. I really wish it would remember that I just need to update to SP2 So i can download that one day, and install another.

Again, any specific folders that I should scan besides System32?
-TJB

#12 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:49 AM

Bah! It finished downloaded service pack 2 and said i needed to restart my computer.. and it froze while I was reading the message. Gah.. Maybe It'll pop up before it freezes next time. Maybe that will fix the computer.
-TJB

#13 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:36 PM

I installed a newer version of Ad-Aware and Spybot on both my laptop and Basement computer(one that's not working)

The old version of Ad-Aware wasn't picking up new updates. When I did a scan, in less thatn 3 minutes it picked up 19 Objects on the basement computer and 34 on this one! Eek haha. Well I stopped it and got rid of what I could before the computer would freeze up, I'm running another scan right now.
-TJB

#14 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:05 PM

Make SURE your computer is clean of all malicious software first! SP2 won't install correctly in an infected machine.

Also, in my experience, SP2 installs much better from a disk than it does from a download. You can order a disk HERE. This, of course, would especially be the preferred course of action for someone with a slow internet connection as it is a huge download.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#15 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:33 PM

Awesome Thanks. I'll keep running scans on the computer for now. Once I'm pretty sure everything is off I'll try once more to download the file. If that doesn't work I'll have it mailed to me. Thanks again.

-TJ
-TJB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users