Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive disk error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 roxyjo

roxyjo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

when i start my computer i have to hit esc esc then it goes to a screen where i hit F-9 and then enter enter to start windows. every time i have to do this if i don't hit the esc esc fast enough i have to turn it off and back on or the right screen won't come up where F-9 is an option. Do you know why this is or what i need to do to correct the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

What is the message displayed on the screen when you are hitting these two options?  Can you take a picture of it with a smartphone and upload it here?  Hitting ESC sounds like it is trying to boot to something that is higher on the boot order than your hard drive and can't find anything so it is alerting you of this and wanting you to hit ESC to confirm you understand this and continue to try to boot other options.  As for F9, I am not sure on that one without more information on what is says for stopping and why you have to hit F9 to continue.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

A little more about your machine might be helpful, i.e. Make and Model.

I'm guessing that you have an HP machine.  I'd recommend checking your boot order in your BIOS.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

Please post your computer make/model & hard drive description

--- We might be able help by checking the computers manual in some cases

--- Does your computer have a built in diagnostic uitility to check your computer or have you tried a hard drive diagnostic program?

When you turn off the computer during either one of the Esc key functions, are you able to turn it off normally or abnormally?

As already requested, what messages are being brought up in what's happening and I'd like to expand on that

--- The subject of your post is hard drive disk error

--- At exactly which step do you know this and what is the exact disk error message?

The steps you are going through are

1. Start computer

--- What is the exact message as the computer starts up?

2. Press Esc 

--- What is the description of the Esc function? 

--- If you don't press Esc fast enough you have to turn the computer off and back on or the right screen won't come up where F9 is an option

3. Press Esc a 2nd time

--- What is the description of the Esc function? Is it the same as the previous step?

--- If you don't press Esc fast enough you have to turn the computer off and back on or the right screen won't come up where F9 is an option

4. The computer goes to a screen where you have to press F9

--- What is the description of the F9 function?

5. Press Enter

--- What is the description of the Enter function?

6. Press Enter a 2nd time

--- What is the description of the Enter function? Is it the same as the previous step?

7. Windows starts ok

I know the above steps most likely shutting down the computer and starting it back up pretty often but you are already doing that

--- The difference is you should be able to record each error message that you don't have time to capture right now because in order to get the computer up into Windows you have to go fast enough to get there

#5 roxyjo

roxyjo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

It says esc  start menu  then esc pause start  then it says hard disk error push F something for system diagnostics then if you hit the esc buttons fast enough it goes to a screen that says

F-9 device hard drive and you hit that and it says boot device option notebook and i hit enter and then  windows will START. I have a HP pavilion dv7 Thanks! 

#6 roxyjo

roxyjo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

It says esc  start menu  then esc pause start  then it says hard disk error push F something for system diagnostics then if you hit the esc buttons fast enough it goes to a screen that says

F-9 device hard drive and you hit that and it says boot device option notebook and i hit enter and then  windows will START. I have a HP pavilion dv7 Thanks! 

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:39 AM

Thank you for that info. This appears to be for your computer  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842278.pdf

--- Go page 115 and check out how to run the System Diagnostics including start up and hard drive tests

Also set up utility (Bios) begins on page 111 and page 122 shows F9 is for the boot order

Edited by cmptrgy, 21 November 2013 - 03:55 AM.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:50 AM

I'm guessing that you have an HP machine.  I'd recommend checking your boot order in your BIOS.

Good guess @RKilroy, looks like the OP has UEFI  :hello:

HP Consumer Support: Boot Device Options (F9)

To access the Boot Device Options, turn on the computer and immediately press the esc key to display the Startup Menu, and then press the F9 key.

c02257560.gif

This window presents the standard choices available in your BIOS for determining how your computer will attempt to boot the operating system on its next restart. Using the F9 option does not permanently change the way in which your computer attempts to start. It will only apply to the current startup process. For information about permanently altering your computer's boot order, please refer to HP Notebook PCs - BIOS Setup (F10) .

BIOS Setup (F10)

To access the BIOS Setup, turn on the computer and repeatedly press the esc key to enter the Startup Menu, and then press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup utility.

c02258786.gif
What options can be changed in the BIOS Setup?

...Revise the boot order, including the hard disk drive, optical drive, network drive, and external USB drives.

Hope this helps. :busy:

Edited by Union_Thug, 21 November 2013 - 03:59 AM.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

Okay, since you have confirmed you have an HP machine.  Press the ESC button and then F10 button when the machine boots.  This will take you into the BIOS.  Since you are getting a hard drive error message I would recommend running the Hard Drive diagnostics.  Normally if the drive is very bad it will fail during the quick test.  If it passes the quick test let it continue through the comprehensive test.  If the drive fails and is under warranty have it replaced.  If the drive fails and is not under warranty I recommend purchasing a new drive.

Once you know that your hard drive is okay look into changing the boot order using the information cmptrgy posted about the manual of your machine, I'm showing the BIOS information starts on page 119, Chapter 5 Setup Utility (BIOS) and System Diagnostics.  If you aren't comfortable in finding and changing the boot order you might just Restore the Factory Settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users