Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Even Get to POST

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 v2premiere

v2premiere

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'm having trouble diagnosing this problem here. The computer is able to boot up when I press the power button, and the cpu fan starts to spin, but there is no video output. I also don't think that it's even getting to BIOS because after I start the machine with the power button, the power button cannot shut it down, even long-holding it, requiring me to flip the PSU switch. There is also NO Post Beeps when removing RAM.

There used to be video though, but when there was it could never make it far into the boot process, as it resets over and over in a bootloop. And the bootloop isn't Windows related, I know that much.

So what do you guys think the problem is here? I've tried:
- switching out the RAM
- trying another PSU (still bootloops)
- testing the output of the PSU (all voltages checked out okay, though 5v = 5.25v?)
- replace CMOS battery

V2 Premiere
Mobo 661FX-M
PSU PW-250-ATXE

Edited by v2premiere, 19 November 2013 - 10:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:

Does this look like your motherboard? http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?CategoryID=1&DetailID=392&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=24&LanID=0

Or do you have the deluxe version? http://www.ecs.com.cn/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?CategoryID=1&DetailID=401&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=1&LanID=0

Thanks in advance....

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 v2premiere

v2premiere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:38 PM

Well thanks, glad to be here. :thumbup2:

It is the Deluxe (V1.0)

Edited by v2premiere, 19 November 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:50 PM

Okay, she has an AGP slot and no onboard video, what is the video card make, model number and advertised memory amount? (such as 256MB or 512MB? etc.)

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 v2premiere

v2premiere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

But it does have onboard video I believe. It's Integrated SiS Real256E Graphics. Shown on the Specifications tab of that site. No video card in this thing.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:45 AM

Yes you are right, OMG I scrolled right down past the word GRAPHICS. My bad, guess it's the color coding of that web page and the red lettering really through my eyes off on the grey and black colored boxes.

Okay my friend, now this is a horse of a different color...LOL! Now, integrated graphics, those are tough to diagnose because when the onboard goes, there is no video. Thankfully though, you have an AGP slot and a PCI slot that you can try adding in a known working add in video card into either slot. If you have one handy or a friend does, I'd try that and see if the system boots so you can see the BIOS screen at least. From there, if your onboard video is bad, you can turn it off.

Bruce.

#7 v2premiere

v2premiere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

Alrightee, I put in a new PCI card, but same symptoms. It could be that the BIOS settings are not set for this card (but don't most BIOS have it set to Auto anyway?) but I think it's rather that it's not even getting to the stage where video is outputted.

After removing the motherboard out of the case, same results.

So, power button starts the CPU fan spinning (seems like full speed), then the power button cannot shut the computer off, and the computer gives no POST beeps whatsoever.

Bad motherboard? Bad CPU?

Edited by v2premiere, 20 November 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

Hang in there. I am going to go back to this link and download all the documents that are related to this computer and read through them: http://www.ecs.com.cn/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?CategoryID=1&DetailID=401&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=1&LanID=0

If you are wondering what I am up to, I'll answer it this way. Some motherboards have circuit jumpers located on various areas of the motherboard, which act as manual switches. I want to see if yours has any and if so, what are they for.

My thoughts are on this topic and I need to do some research so I can give you either a conclusion or a continuation of ideas.

Bruce.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

I need to ask this question, what operating system is currently on the boot hard drive?

Bruce.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

Okay, bunch of questions here. So please bear with me.

Let's start off with connections first.

There is a 4 pin power connecter called ATX2 or ATX 12 Volt. It is near the printer port. Make sure that connecter is secure and just to be safe, unplug it and plug it back in again making sure it clicks into place.

Make sure the 10 pin connecter which is near the IDE cable port and the SATA connectors has all the wires connected correctly.

This 10 pin connecter goes to your front panel and your power on switch attaches here.

The pins are not clear in any picture I see of this motherboard, however, there should be a number 1 near one of the pins, that would be pin number 1 and pin number 2 is across from it.

Pin numbers and descriptions.

1 HD_LED_P Hard disk LED+
2 FP PWR/SLP *MSG LED+
3 HD_LED_N Hard disk LED-
4 FP PWR/SLP *MSG LED-
5 RST_SW_N Reset Switch
6 PWR_SW_P Power Switch
7 RST_SW_P Reset Switch
8 PWR_SW_N Power Switch
9 RSVD Reserved
10 NC No pin

Please recheck those connections.

Their manual for this computer on line has the most out of focus and pixelized images I have ever seen in any other .pdf manual before! :ranting:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users