Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing an Intel RAID controller ....which is apparently a thing

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Jakeratboy81

Jakeratboy81

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

Gonna summarize as succinctly as possible here, since I can't imagine my story's a new one. 

I get the BSOD, I get it once or twice a day, ever since the power went out in my house while updating Windows. I re-installed everything, but I still get a shutdown 3-4 times a week. I downloaded Microsoft's debugging tool and it said the problem was with my GenuineIntel processor bus, a Win7 Driver error (which makes sense, given that I'm running Windows 7.) 

So I went to Intel's website and had it run an automated scan on my system, which told me my RAID controller was out of date (or more accurately my Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5/3400/6 Series SATA RAID Controller) It said I needed to upgrade to 11.6.0.1002, but I found an even more recent version (12.somethingsomething) so I grabbed that instead.

All of this made me feel very technically capable and almost God-like, but now I'm at a loss.

I downloaded the file, but have no idea how to install it, or use it to update my system. It's all system files and security catalogs. Anything that says "Setup Information" has no actual set-up information.

I found the original information needed to get this far from this awesome site. Everyone seemed really helpful. So I'm hoping for just one extra step up here.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Jake.

Edited by hamluis, 26 November 2013 - 03:31 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

Edited To say: Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:

You mean the RAID driver at this link?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=23060&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

This document explains how to install it. http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23060/eng/readme.txt

Before I go any further, please verify the first link above as your source for (12.somethingsomething)

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 November 2013 - 07:24 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Jakeratboy81

Jakeratboy81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, that's the exact place I downloaded the driver update from. 

Can't BELIEVE I didn't see the ReadMe file down there. Though, in my defense.... No, I've got nothing. 

And as I read this I see that, although this is the newest version, it is not applicable to my system. Looks like I should be downloading 11.7 after all. 

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Looks like I should be downloading 11.7 after all.

It happens. Let me know if you still have problems with that version.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Jakeratboy81

Jakeratboy81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:36 PM

Well, now, here's the thing:

The ReadMe file (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22194/eng/readme.txt, thanks to MrBruce1959) states that I need only click on the self-extracting, self-installing file. Which is, as far as I can tell, not provided? Or imaginary?

It tells you to install the Chipset Software Installation Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20775&ProdId=816&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=Drivers), which I did, although there are no new files or options on my computer, as far as I can tell. A box with a picturesque Swiss mountain vista appeared and listed a bunch of numbers, I said "Yes," and it was finished.

But as far as any self-extraction, I extracted the files myself, from "f6flpy-x64." And inside said extracted folder I can only find Security Catalogs, Setup Information, and System Files, none of which want to open into anything, except unreadable text files full of terrifying dollar signs.

I must be skipping a step again, because the instructions seem so very clear, and I am so very confused.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

These are the new directions for 11.7

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22194/eng/readme.txt

Bruce.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

Sorry just noticed you posted the new link above mine.

Bruce.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

.INF files are commonly used by a system to install new drivers. .inf stands for information. It contains information your system uses that enables it to communicate with certain hardware.

One mention is made of f6 in the instructions.

One can get new drivers to install, by going to device manager and choosing the device in question, such as RAID controllers, then choosing update driver.
Then pointing it toward the .INF file in the folder that you unzipped.

Let me double check those .inf files for the correct one.

Bruce.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

This is the iaAHCIC.inf I can not copy and paste the whole thing it becomes a copyright thing and we could be asked to remove it from the forum board if intel complains.

; Copyright © 2009-2012 Intel Corporation
; **********************************************************************************************
; **********************************************************************************************
; ** Filename: iaAHCIC.inf
; ** Revision: 11/19/2012,11.7.0.1013
; ** Abstract: Windows* INF File for AHCI Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver
; ** Installs: RST AHCI Controller Miniport

Next:

iaStorAC.inf

; Copyright © 2009-2012 Intel Corporation
; ** Filename: iaStorAC.inf
; ** Revision: 11/19/2012,11.7.0.1013
; ** Abstract: Windows* INF File for AHCI Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver
; ** Installs: RST AHCI RAID Controller Miniport + RST Filter Driver

Those are the beginning texts of those two .inf files, in other words it explains what each .inf file is for.

I would point my RAID controller drivers to the second .inf file and let it update.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 November 2013 - 09:13 PM.

#10 Jakeratboy81

Jakeratboy81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

Alright, very sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. Thanksgiving, entire family moved into my house, blah blah blah.

So I did exactly as you said, and it seems to have worked? It restarted a couple of times and now the driver is updated! Hopefully this solves all my issues. Or, well, all the issues with my computer.

Thanks again for your help MrBruce1959. I'll post back on here if any else comes up but I think we're good!

Knock on wood.

Jake.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Glad to see my advice has helped you. :)

If you ever have any problems with your computer in the future, you know you can always count on someone here at BC helping you to resolve it. :wink:

Bruce.

#12 Jakeratboy81

Jakeratboy81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

WWWHHHEEEELLLPPPPPP, I'm back. Begrudgingly. I really thought we had it figured out.

Driver is updated (even the automated checker on Intel's site says it's up to date.) But I'm still getting 0x124 GenuineIntel error BSOD, at least once every two days. No connection to what I'm doing, or at least I don't see any. Could be watching a movie, surfing online, doesn't seem to matter.

I did a Hard Drive local disk error check, which as far as I can tell went fine (it didn't give me any sort of log or anything?) Windows Memory Diagnostic didn't find anything either.

As you can tell, I'm starting to really worry that this could be hardware-related. I feel like I've done everything I could do software-wise, but perhaps there's something I don't know about? Maybe another driver? I'm really not sure.

I also did a stress test thing where it runs all 4 processors full blast for like a hour or so, and nothing happened. No error, no BSOD, like it was a normal computer that wasn't terrible and broken. Lol. That's maybe a good sign, right?

Alright, here's hoping we can figure out the next step. Or, no, here's hoping the next step is the last one and solves everything.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

I am sad to hear that things are still not working as they should be. :(

I want to take a look at your system errors. Please follow my instructions below.

Please download VEW and save it to your Desktop: http://images.malwareremoval.com/vino/VEW.exe

Double-click VEW.exe (Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 users right click VEW.exe and choose Run As Administrator then under Select log to query, select:
Application
System

Under Select type to list, select:
Critical (Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 only)
Error

Click the radio button for Number of events
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

In Notepad, click Edit > Select all then Edit > Copy
Reply to this post, click in the reply window and press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log.

I will be watching for your next reply.

Bruce.

#14 Jakeratboy81

Jakeratboy81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Ugg, yet again I have to apologize for my response being late because of a holiday party and family. On the plus side I now have enough sugar cookies shaped like gingerbread men to start a small dessert army. 

Alright, here's the Vino Event Viewer summary. I had assumed that this was all the same error, over and over again, but it looks like different things are causing it? I'll also mention that more than a couple times the BSOD has been kicked up right as my background wallpaper was changing from one image to another, though I can't imagine that function is really all that taxing on the computer?

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 23/12/2013 4:36:40 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Critical Type
'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/12/2013 11:12:33 PM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 10 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/12/2013 11:11:29 PM
Event: 4103 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon
Windows license activation failed. Error 0x80070005.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/12/2013 11:08:46 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/12/2013 7:38:52 PM
Event: 10 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/12/2013 7:38:03 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/12/2013 6:01:34 PM
Event: 100 Source: Bonjour Service
Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 17519

Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledEvent 17519

Task Scheduling Error: Continuously busy for more than a second

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/12/2013 6:01:33 PM
Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 16521

Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledEvent 16521

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/12/2013 6:01:32 PM
Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 15507

Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledEvent 15507

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/12/2013 6:01:31 PM
Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 14509

Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledEvent 14509

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/12/2013 6:01:30 PM
Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 13510

Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledEvent 13510

'System' Log - Critical Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 23/12/2013 11:11:05 PM
Type: Critical Category: 63
Event: 41 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/12/2013 7:37:25 PM
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2013 11:57:58 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2013 2:07:46 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 16/12/2013 3:51:58 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 14/12/2013 5:42:14 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 03/12/2013 4:19:20 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 02/12/2013 4:59:41 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/11/2013 4:06:25 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 24/11/2013 7:57:58 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2013 10:49:19 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 15/11/2013 3:48:58 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 13/11/2013 3:35:01 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 06/11/2013 1:13:27 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 04/11/2013 5:28:56 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 04/11/2013 5:02:16 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 02/11/2013 4:46:41 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/11/2013 7:46:00 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 17/10/2013 6:51:16 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 17/10/2013 4:14:43 PM

'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/12/2013 7:38:55 PM
Event: 18 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
A fatal hardware error has occurred.  Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error Processor ID: 3  The details view of this entry contains further information.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.  Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error Processor ID: 2  The details view of this entry contains further information.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.  Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error Processor ID: 2  The details view of this entry contains further information.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.  Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error Processor ID: 1  The details view of this entry contains further information.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.  Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error Processor ID: 0  The details view of this entry contains further information.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.  Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error Processor ID: 0  The details view of this entry contains further information.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/12/2013 7:37:54 PM
Event: 1001 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xfffffa8006dcb8f8, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\122013-44460-01.dmp. Report Id: 122013-44460-01.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/12/2013 7:37:52 PM
Event: 6008 Source: EventLog
The previous system shutdown at 12:35:01 PM on ?12/?20/?2013 was unexpected.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2013 11:59:21 PM
A fatal hardware error has occurred.  Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error Processor ID: 3  The details view of this entry contains further information.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.  Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error Processor ID: 1  The details view of this entry contains further information.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2013 11:58:21 PM
Event: 1001 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xfffffa800467a8f8, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\121913-38610-01.dmp. Report Id: 121913-38610-01.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2013 11:58:20 PM
The previous system shutdown at 4:56:58 PM on ?12/?19/?2013 was unexpected.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2013 2:08:25 AM
The previous system shutdown at 7:05:27 PM on ?12/?18/?2013 was unexpected.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2013 5:02:51 PM
Event: 10001 Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Unable to start a DCOM Server: {F87B28F1-DA9A-4F35-8EC0-800EFCF26B83} as /. The error: "5" Happened while starting this command: C:\Windows\System32\slui.exe -Embedding

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2013 12:24:39 AM
Event: 10010 Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
The server {995C996E-D918-4A8C-A302-45719A6F4EA7} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 16/12/2013 6:11:25 PM
Event: 10001 Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Unable to start a DCOM Server: {F87B28F1-DA9A-4F35-8EC0-800EFCF26B83} as /. The error: "5" Happened while starting this command: C:\Windows\System32\slui.exe -Embedding

#15 Jakeratboy81

Jakeratboy81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

Just wanted to reiterate something here. As far as I can tell, there isn't any specific action or group of actions that causes the BSOD. I could be on websites for hours without any issue, then one page opens and the computer shuts down. I could be playing a game for an hour just fine and then selecting someone or choosing a potion causes the shutdown. But I could also open a webpage for the first time that day, or start up a game, and still get a BSOD.

Sometimes even doing nothing causes one. I've had it BSOD on start-up once or twice, and even on shutdown once. I told the computer to shut down and instead it froze and restarted. Or I've left the system idle and come back to find that it had shutdown and re-started.

Anyway, just wanted to point that out. Hope anyone reading this has an awesome NYE and a spectacular new year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users