Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random shutdowns

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Crix17

Crix17

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

Ok, so a few months ago now my pc started shutting down randomly and it eventually got so bad I would barely be onto the desktop when it would do so. One of my friends who works with computers told me it was likely to be the graphics card and after saving up for months I have replaced the old one and my RAM. So today the parts arrived and I installed them with no bother, booted it up and everything seemed to be running fine, it got to the desktop and I was messing about with some settings until bang it shut off again. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what it could be as I would love some free advice before I take it down the shop to get it seen too. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crix17

Crix17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

Also my specs are:
First generation i7 3000mhz
8gb ram 2 x 4gb sticks - just installed
Msi mother board x58 pro
1 tb HDD
Amd Radeon 7970 3gb - just installed
Adding 300mbps wireless pic adapter

It is also probably worth mentioning that before the pc started shutting down randomly my wireless card kept cutting out and then just stopped working, I have since removed it but the problems persist.

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

please put up your power supply specs. I have seen network adapters cause spontaneous system shutdowns but most of the time it is the power supply. i think that x58 series is somewhat sensitive anyway, i have one. but the i-7 isn't a watt hog for the most part, but that 7970 is. for that setup, i have seen users sport a 750 watt corsair TX series power supply. what is really the heart of the matter is your amperage on the 12v rail (s). i would want over 50a with that setup, preferrably around 70a, which the TX series performs with.

Then there is the BIOS subject. have you fished around in there to see anything self-evident with the components ?

Edited by synergy513, 19 November 2013 - 07:36 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 Crix17

Crix17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

Sorry for late reply, got into bed but can't sleep.

My PSU is an 850 watt, that's All I know at the minute, may have just figured it out however, the cooler that is on top of my CPU is ridiculously hot for only being on a few minutes, if the cooler is failing the CPU could be over heating and causing the whole system to shut down right? Or wrong?

Edited by Crix17, 19 November 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#5 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

Yes, Overheating CPU will shutdown the machine.

Edited by JHMcG, 19 November 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#6 Crix17

Crix17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

Well about 400 pound and 7 months later I've got there. Ha thanks, wish I knew more about computers.

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

an overheating cpu/shutdown should result in a subsequent  boot-up post/bios message to the tune of "thermal event", at least that is what happened to me 4 years ago on xp.

#8 Crix17

Crix17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:00 AM

I have never received that message, could my i7 be faulty? I've changed the psu gpu and ram so there is little else that it could be haha

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

it could be a motherboard/BIOS edition that determines the CPU thermal event message or lack thereof on bootup. Have you been monitoring your temperatures?  Speccy is a popular system analysis app. 

Edited by synergy513, 20 November 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#10 Crix17

Crix17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

Sorry for late reply, it was infact overheating and I have replaced the fan and it has been switched on for a while without shutting off. However a new problem has arose, when I turn the pc on now there is no beep code and it doesn't boot up at all or display anything on my monitor, it is however all switched on the lights are on and my fans for CPU gpu and psu are all working.

#11 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

Try resetting your CMOS.

#12 Crix17

Crix17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

The problem was that stupid me whilst installing the fan removing the power cables for the CPU and not putting them back in! What an idiot! It's all completely working now thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users