Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost files one xternal hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brenna_AK

Brenna_AK

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

i have a computer, microstft 7, laptop is 8. i have an external hard drve and over night all my files from one folder COMPLETELY disappeared. can't fin them in the trash or ANYWHERE! arghhh. 

but not too much lost data. i have no idea what to do . 

help please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

Hello, Your description is a bit confusing.

We're talking about two different computers here. A laptop with Windows 8 and a desktop with Windows 7. Is this correct or are both computers laptops?

Now I also have to ask you on which computer was the files created and to which computer the files disappeared?

What kind of files were they? Documents? Photos? Music?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Brenna_AK

Brenna_AK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

they were created on the desktop 7. the last time i used my external hard drive i wason my laptop 8

the were music files, like mp4 and such. 

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

Okay, thanks for the clarifications. :thumbup2:

Plugging the external drive back on the Windows 7 desktop does not reveal that those files are still there?

Were they all in one folder or were they just on the drive's root directory?

I ask about the folder because it is possible that instead of the drive or files being erased, the folder they were in may have been made invisible such as how a hidden folder is invisible.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 ChelseaWoolf

ChelseaWoolf

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

I had all of my report files on my external hard disk also. the hard disk space was still used but there no report files were visible. then i fixed the issue

Open the folder where everything is suppossed to be

at the top click Tools, then folder options

then under the view option tab, go down to hidden files and folders

select Show hidden files and forlders after then apply and okay

this should show everything back, but to use them you need to highlight all your files,
after then right click then choose properties, at the bottom deselect hidden then then hit apply

make sure you select for all files folders and subfolders

it's bit old but i had alot of trouble with the same issue for it to be such an easy fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users