Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop will load but nothing will open, error screens galore

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 thatcrazyvwguy

thatcrazyvwguy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

My computer (gateway laptop with xp media center) would not work, it would hang at the welcome screen. I was able to access recovery via f11. Chose to recover and save old files.

The computer ran for a while, reinstalling things and eventually
seemed to work. I was able to open "my computer" and see that there
was a file that i assume was all the old stuff that i am trying to
save, mostly pictures etc from before the recovery. The browser
worked, everything seemed to be ok.

A friend that i thought new more about computers than me went to work
running a bunch of scanners.... sophos, vipre rescue, eset, wisecare
365 and wisecare defrag. Nothing was found. He attempted to restart
the computer but nothing would happen and eventually i believe he
turned the computer off by holding the power button down. When the
computer turned back on, it was back to hanging at the welcome
screen.

He then restarted the computer with a windows cd and ran
checkdisc /f and /r, he said it didnt find anything. He also said that
he "deleted a bunch of programs i didnt need" and ran a register
cleaner/fixer.

Now the computer will actually start and go to the desktop, but nothing works. I
cannot open anything without error screens and fear that my old files
are gone.... here are the errors:

As soon as the desktop opens:
Gina ui: logonui.exe application error
the instruction at 0x00000000 ref at 0x00000000 could not be written

Trying to open "my computer"
I often get the same error as above, or,
drwtsn32.exe application error
exception unknown software exception
0xc0000409 occured in application location 0x59a7295d

Where do i go from here? I could care less about this old laptop, i
just want all my old files that are hopefully still somewhere... But if
i can get the computer to work again also that would be great! I tried
to hook up a external hard drive in attempt to download the old files
but i cannot get to it, all i get are error screens.

Edited by thatcrazyvwguy, 19 November 2013 - 05:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tabvla

Tabvla

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

You can always fix or replace a computer.  You can always reinstall Windows.  You can always fix, replace or reinstall software......

What you cannot replace are personal files, documents, photographs and everything else that is of value to you.  The less you "mess" with the hard disk the more chance there is that you will be able to recover your personal files.  So, to start - stop "messing" with the disk until you know that your personal files are safe.

When you Delete a file (or a file is deleted in error) it isn't actually deleted.  Under normal circumstances Windows simply moves the file to a new Folder called Recycle Bin.  Even when you Empty the Recylce Bin the file is still not deleted - its just that Windows no longer has a record of where the file is located on the disk, so in effect it cannot find the file and new data may be written to those areas of the disk occupied by that file.

What this means in practical terms is that it is almost always possible to recover supposedly "lost" files - they are usually just sitting on the disk in an undisclosed location.

My suggestion to you is as follows: -

1. Find out what type of hard disk is installed in the Gateway laptop (IDE or SATA)

2. Purchase from your local friendly computer shop an IDE/SATA to USB cable - normally less than $5 or €4 or £3

3. Remove the hard disk from the Gateway

4. Install on another computer file recovery software  - Recuva is highly recommended by users :  http://download.cnet.com/Recuva/3000-2242_4-10753287.html

5. Connect the hard disk from the Gateway to the other computer using the IDE/SATA to USB cable

6. Now attempt to recover your files using the recovery software

Let us know the result.

T.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

It's your user interface that is broken, there is no reason for your files to be in any any peril.

by running "sfc /scannow" from the command prompt in safe mode should fix your issue.

I know some other solutions, but try that first before we start getting more technical.

#4 thatcrazyvwguy

thatcrazyvwguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:42 PM

Thank you both for the replies!

TsVk!-

I tried to run sfc/scannow and this is what it says:

Windows file protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.

The specific error code is 0x000006 ba [the rpc server is unavailable.].

Edit: searching around online i read that scannow wont run in safe mode.... scannow is currently running in the regular desktop mode

Edited by thatcrazyvwguy, 21 November 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

sfc runs fine in safe mode on my test machines.... Hope it comes through for you on standard mode.

#6 Tabvla

Tabvla

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:55 AM

"........It's your user interface that is broken....."

Hi TsVkl

Could you be more specific and explain what you mean by "broken".

Tks

T.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

logonui.exe application is the interface for the user... which has corrupted or has a bug

drwtsn32.exe is Dr Watson... a kind of automatic Windows debugger for fixing errors...

The second is trying to fix the first but because of error 0xc0000409 (which is a type of memory madness) it can't.

It's a pretty serious OS error, but there is no reason for it to destroy your documents. You should be able to remove you files or copy them with another computer without any special apps, assuming you can't get your system working again.

How sfc go? Next on the list is system restore if that doesn't work...

edit:

Have you checked to see if the RPC service is started on your computer when you tried sfc?

To check this, go to Start -» Run -» and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Scroll down to the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service (NOT the one that says "Locator") and check to see if it's started.
If it's not, right click on it and select "Start"

Then try the sfc /scannow command to see if it works.

Edited by TsVk!, 22 November 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#8 Tabvla

Tabvla

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

logonui.exe application is the interface for the user... which has corrupted or has a bug

drwtsn32.exe is Dr Watson... a kind of automatic Windows debugger for fixing errors...

The second is trying to fix the first but because of error 0xc0000409 (which is a type of memory madness) it can't.

It's a pretty serious OS error, but there is no reason for it to destroy your documents. ........

Thanks for the detail.  You learn something new every day..... :wink:

In all the years I have worked with computers this is the first time I have encounted a corrupt logonui.exe.

I will watch this Thread with interest to see the eventual (we hope) solution to the problem.

T.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

Silly me, I thought you were the OP, Tabvla... Sloppy attention to detail on my part.

It's one of the reasons I love computers also, can always find something I know nothing about to learn about.

I hope we can figure it out too...

#10 thatcrazyvwguy

thatcrazyvwguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

The sfc/scannow finished and said there were some errors found and to insert my windows disc to continue.

I inserted the disc and it said you have inserted the wrong disc. Tried a couple times with no luck. The disc has a couple little skuffs that i believe are preventing the computer from reading it.

So i closed the screens and turned off the computer,with plans to obtain a new disc and try again.(no idea where as microsoft and gateway said the disc is nla)

I turned the computer on this morning just to see what it would do- and it seems to be working! I was able to open up "my computer" and view all my old pictures and files. I restarted it a few times and it is still working ok, well everything but the internet!

The one thing that is not working now is the wireless..... these are the details that it gives me

Broadcom 802.11 Network adaptor

This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device(code 31) 

Thanks everyone for the help! 

Edited by thatcrazyvwguy, 22 November 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

step by step... :thumbup2: I had a copy of XP media center do the same thing to me a few weeks ago... Is a very strange OS.

Anyhow, if you right click computer from the start menu>manage>device manager>network adapters and then right click and uninstall the offending adapter....

Restart, then Windows should automatically re-install the driver.

The problem I had after this same thing with Media Center version, was after all the fixes windows updates didn't work correctly... I hope this doesn't happen here.

#12 thatcrazyvwguy

thatcrazyvwguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

step by step... :thumbup2: I had a copy of XP media center do the same thing to me a few weeks ago... Is a very strange OS.

Anyhow, if you right click computer from the start menu>manage>device manager>network adapters and then right click and uninstall the offending adapter....

Restart, then Windows should automatically re-install the driver.

The problem I had after this same thing with Media Center version, was after all the fixes windows updates didn't work correctly... I hope this doesn't happen here.

I tried to uninstall, reinstall a few times with no luck. Any other ideas?

Edited by thatcrazyvwguy, 26 November 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#13 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

download the driver here http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/determine_driver.php

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:15 PM

good link Roodo... Uninstall the old one and don't restart, before you install the new.... then restart.

#15 thatcrazyvwguy

thatcrazyvwguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the link. Since i cannot access that site from the computer that is broken, i am trying to figure out which download i need, than hopefully load it onto a cd than to the broken computer....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users