Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to build a computer for both work and gaming

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dalebn

dalebn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

I am going to customize a pc in the future for both gaming and working, I work in the fields of 3D modeling, Image editing and Video Editing but at the same time I game a lot, I have everything clear on every other part of the PC except for the Graphics Card which I have very little knowledge on.

Which is the right way to customize this, do I have to get two graphics card that are exactly the same like getting two equal Nvidia GTX so that they behave like a single nvidia Quadro or can I get a Nvidia Quadro and a GTX and have them in the same computer, this is what I dont understand, if I choose the second option a Quadro for 3d modeling and work in general and a GTX for gaming how do I manage both under just one monitor, is it possible? or am i forced to buy two monitors one for each graphic card? also how do I know which application is using what, how can I know if my Maya application is not running under the GTX instead of the Quadro and the other way around how do I know if the Quadro is not accidentally running the games instead of the GTX?

Then the connections, if I want to have GTX and Quadro in the same computer and under one monitor how does the connection happen? would I have to make sure that the Monitor I buy has at least 2 HDMI slots or maybe I can buy a 32inch TV and use it as monitor, they usually have multiple HDMI slots.

Well I really appreciate if anyone could help with this since I am not pro at building PCs.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

When you say 3D modelling, do you mean CAD where precision is key?  The difference between standard consumer cards and workstation cards lie in the firmware.  Some are designed for speed at the cost of mathematical precision, the workstation cards are aimed at precision over speed.  You may be better served by going all-in with one or the other. 

As for using a TV as a monitor, unless you are going to use a 4K TV, most televisions are capped at 1080p, whereas many computer monitors go well beyond that.  My monitor is 1920 x 1200 which is above 1080p.

3939.png

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

Hi, I use a older 32" monitor but then I like the bigger size of the 1366 by 768 native resolution for viewing across the room.

I was just looking at a Westinghouse 46 inch 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV UW46T7HW and it shows in the manual. Not the American Westinghouse company as they sold the name for use on electronics.

VGA Timing
640 x 400 @ 60Hz,
800 x 600 @ 60Hz,
1024 x 768 @60Hz,
1280 x 800 @60Hz,
1280x1024@ 60Hz
1360 x 768 @60Hz,
1440 x 900 @60Hz
1680 x 1050 @60Hz
1920x1080 @ 60Hz
1920x1200 @ 60Hz

On Sale with free shipping $359.99

I was tempted but I wanted a little more Input options, Component and HDMI. Thing to remember is a TV and a monitor may vary a little in the onscreen colors.

That said I also saw this one AOC q2963Pm Black 29 inch 5ms HDMI UltraWide (21:9) LED Backlight LCD Monitor, IPS Panel 300 cd/m2 50,000,000:1 Built-in Speakers

for $379.99 but You need a promo code for that one.

The True monitor could be better for color accuracy, The TV Bigger with some compromise.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 20 November 2013 - 04:44 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users