Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Work/Personal All in one laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cam.gray

cam.gray

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

My budget for the new computer is: $1000 (preferred, but I have room to work.  A Black Friday deal would be nice)

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Working from home or on the road (VPN+RDP onto office machine) as well as movies, music, and gaming.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Nothing special, games will probably be the most hardware intensive

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, League of Legends, etc.  No need to run at highest graphics options though.  Just want it to run smooth

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I often have a browser as well as music/video player open along with whatever i'm doing.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Yes but I have TBs of externals to empty onto once my internal drive starts to fill up

I recently graduated and am in the IT field, so it needs to be something portable and able to be worked on, but it is also my personal machine so I want to have the ability to play games and watch movies too.  Battery life if a plus, if I don't have a great battery I'd probably buy a second and keep it charged.  I'd prefer a SSD alongside a 7200 RPM HDD, from what I've read the laptop would need to be 17"+ to have the space for both drives.  I'm hoping to have 6-8gb of memory as well.  The hard drive, memory, battery, and other easily interchangeable parts can hold off for now to fit my budget if necessary, as long as there is room for upgrading it in the future.  Being in the IT field, I know that I should be able to do this myself, but I am still learning a lot so I'm hoping some of your knowledge and advice can rub off on me.  I appreciate the input and opinions and don't hesitate to ask if you need any more info or have suggestions contrary to anything I've said here.

Thanks guys!
-Cam

Edited by cam.gray, 19 November 2013 - 02:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

A 17" is portable in name only.  Both size and weight make it impractical to do on a normal basis.  It will also most likely be over your $1,000 by 50% or more.  The cheapest laptop New Egg carries is $848 an the lowest price with an SSD is $1,449

The dual drive requirement is also going to only be found on machines in the $1,500 plus range.  An SSD drive alone will bring the price over $1,000.

So, you have a couple of options, lower your expectations or open your wallet a little wider.

I've been using an HP EliteBook Folio 9470m for the past year, with 8GB it is great for the work environment.  I can't speak to its suitability for gaming.

Personally I'm not a fan of laptops and would recommend a desktop as your main machine and use either a work laptop or sub $500 machine to connect to work and be mobile.

#3 cam.gray

cam.gray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I've been doing a little research and stumbled upon mSSDs and I think that's a good route for me.  It leaves drive bay open so I could add a HDD on my own time.  I think if I could find a laptop with that and a 4th gen i5, as long as the video card is decent I think it would work for me.  Memory isn't a huge deal because as long as it has 2 ports, I can upgrade it myself at any time.  Do you think there's anything out there closer to the $1000 mark using those specs? (mSSD, 4th gen i5, decent video card).

Thanks a lot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users