Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to backup harddrive, but computer isn't cooperating.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

A few weeks ago, I posted this topic, regarding my old computer having the "Windows Detected a Hard Disk Problem" error. At the time I was unable to backup my data, due to lack of funds and resources. Well, since then, I've been able to purchase a new PC and a 2TB External. The problem is, the old computer boots up and lets me log in, but it runs so God-awful slow, that it's nearly impossible to do anything, including backup my data. It stays on the same process for hours, saying that it is "preparing" the backup, and if I leave it for any amount of time (I'm thinking less than 20 minutes), it falls asleep, and I usually can't it out of sleep mode. Changing the power settings on it is impossible, since it runs so slow now. What I mean is, you literally try to perform the simplest process (such as going into the Control Panel) and it freezes, after taking about several minutes to try and do it. The most recent time that I attempted to do a backup, I left the computer alone for a bit, to let it do its thing. When I returned, the screen was black with a single line of text, that merely said that the computer ran into an error. I can't possibly recall what it said word-for-word, but it didn't mention any special or specific error, just that it simply ran into one. Anyway, my question is, how in the world do I backup my data?  The computer still allows me to log into it, so I it know it isn't completely fried yet, but its definitely on its deathbed. Should I open up the computer, take out the drive and hook it to the new PC? The old PC is a Gateway all-in-one touchscreen computer, so I'm not even sure how easy it is, to retrieve the drive. I'm trying to hurry and back everything up, while it still "sort of" works, before it inevitably completely conks out on me. Any suggestions? 

Edited by TheRealJustan, 19 November 2013 - 01:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

Try running one of these software.

EaseUS Todo Backup Free

• FREE, safe and reliable backup & disaster recovery software for home users
  • Simple-to-use, just one-click to back up system, photos, music, videos, documents, and applications in case of any disaster problems
  • Disk clone, disk upgrade and SSD migration solution

or Backup & Recovery Free

Complete Backup - Create an exact copy of your PC including the operating system, applications, user settings and all data

There are others. The difference is that instead of using the Windows backup software the boot of of a CD/DVD or Flash drive to do the Job.

You might have to tell it to skip bad sectors on the hard drive to get it to complete of course.

Good Luck

Roger

Backup & Recovery 2013 Free Backup & Recovery 2013 Free

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

Sounds good. The only problem is, I'm scared that it's going to run very slow and eventually quit, like everything else. Should I just try to remove the drive from the PC and hook it up to the new PC, via one of those USB to SATA converter devices? 

Edited by TheRealJustan, 19 November 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:35 AM

If the current PC is experiencing shutdowns and blackscreen while trying to recover data on a failing hard drive, it is best to try your other option by slaving it on a working computer or by a usb adapter.

Tekken

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

OTOH slaving it to another computer may not help with the slowness if the slowness is caused by the hard drive itself. If the slowness is from a software or non hard drive hardware problem, then yes slaving it will help. Since the backup tools do not run from within windows a software issue is removed. The ones I linked are designed to clone the entire drive to another drive for example.

Therefor try slaving the drive as was suggested by jhayz first. Be careful handling the drive. Be very gentle with it, They do not like impacts or static electricity.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 20 November 2013 - 10:01 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users