Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User accounts profile randomly lost in windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Micallen

Micallen

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

Out of about 20 computers at work, we have one that the User accounts profile randomly gets lost.  When he logs in, there is an error with his profile.  It will only log into a temp profile.

I found out how to fix the profile.  (this):

User accounts profile randomly lost in windows 7

I have multiple user accounts in windows 7.  All users use the account throughout the day. At least every other day I get one of the account profiles lost. The user logs on and gets this popup message:

Your user profile was not loaded correctly! You have been logged on with a temporary profile.

That user will not be able to log into his profile until I go into the registry as an administrator and change the ProfileList. Here is what I need to do:

1. Using regedit Navigate to:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\
  2. Find the GUID folder that is the profile. (there is a duplicate folder with a .bak appended)
  3. Delete the profile and rename the old profile by removing the .bak.
  4. Reboot the PC and the user profile works again.

I have to do this quite often and it’s not just one user account. It’s even happened to the administrator account and I know the users couldn’t have messed with that account.

I would appreciate any help.  If I can’t find a solution I am going to create a service to run to look for the .bak and remove it. But I don’t like putting a Band-Aid on a bug.

But like the person written in blue above, I want the problem fixed so it doesn't re-occur.  This morning I decided to check Windows Update on his computer.  There were 146 updates to be downloaded.  So...

Is anyone familiar enough with this situation to know if Windows put out an update that ended this re-occuring problem?

Thanks,

Micallen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

No update or fix that I am aware.  Normally if I have a user that is consistently getting a temporary profile I recreate their profile.

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Log in with an account that has administrative access.
  3. Rename the user’s profile, C:\Users\%UserName%, with a .OLD extension.
  4. Run REGEDIT.
  5. Browse to: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Profielist
  6. You will want to be looking at the longer entries.
  7. Verify the correct entry by looking at the ProfileImagePath value
  8. Delete the key that contains the user’s ProfileImagePath
  9. Reboot the machine.
  10. Have the user log in, a new profile will be created.
  11. Copy user’s data, (Desktop, Favorites, My Documents, etc.) from the profile you renamed in step 3.

When I have recreated the profile I have not had the user return with the Temporary Profile issue.

#3 Micallen

Micallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

Thanks.

Micallen

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Using rdesktop sometimes throws this error out and loads the temp profile. The culprit that causes this is the large virus software suites like.. Norton, COMODO, Mcafee, etc. After uninstalling them RD loads the profile without a hitch.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

If it's a single system...I think that I would be trying to eliminate possbility of hard drive situation...or file system corruption on that system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users