Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials Error Code

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abroman320

abroman320

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

I had a Windows Update occur last night, which was just a normal thing. Right after the update, MSE started getting the error code 0x80070002 whenever I tried to start the program, or when I would boot up the machine. I Googled answers for this and the best thing I could do was uninstall MSE.

I'm trying to reinstall MSE because I like how lightweight it is and because Windows keeps bugging me about it. I am aware that I can disable the notifications, but knowing that I don't have any protection is just something I don't want to be aware of.

Anyway, when I tried reinstalling it, I ran into the error code 0x80070643. Googling again led me to see that this is just some sort of installation error.

I don't have any other antivirus programs installed aside from Windows Defender. I've tried running several Microsoft Fix Its, and a bunch of command prompt steps, but it's still to no avail.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

Download & run the Microsoft Security Essentials Removal Tool Download (It's actually a M$oft "Fixit")  then try reinstalling. If you still get errors I suggest you refer to this **Microsoft Security Essentials - Installation Checklist and Frequently Asked Questions

Edit to add: **Particularly parts 3 & 4

Hope this helps. :busy:

Edited by Union_Thug, 19 November 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#3 abroman320

abroman320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

I have followed step 3 and 4 above, and still no dice with the installation. I still get the same error code (0x80070643.)

I also tried uninstalling an update to Adobe Shockwave Player that installed around the time I got the first error code. It had this little confirmation about downloading McAfee, so I would assume that would have been done with step 4.

I did not see McAfee in the add/remove program list, and I uninstalled that Adobe update I mentioned earlier. Tried installing MSE again, and I still got the 0x80070643 error code.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:23 AM

Worth a look, IMO:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/installation-error-0x80070643/908fad3e-f9fc-4d8a-be83-ae7d3bc48db5 .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users