Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attachments will not open or download - Orange?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ladybones12

ladybones12

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

2 weeks ago I had various viruses an IT pro helpfully removed them. I am an old 'Wanadoo' user so am using Orange Webmail. I can open all file types from my hard drive so it isn't an associations problem . When I try to download from an email the % downloaded box opens and the save location. Once the location is entered the download appears to complete but there is no file in the location. I tried going back to an earlier e-mail and re-downloading a file. The fact there was already a file of that name was picked up but when I 'Ok'd' to overwrite the original vanished and no new file there. Have tried various Doc Docx pdf files but none download or open. (haven't tried xls as though these used to download they never opeded on clicking I always had to open excel then use it to open the file.)

I am not sure what IE I am using but I have Windows Vista on a Dell Vostro.

Is there something I haven't checked?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

First thing I would do is to download another browser like Chrome or Firefox and try it there.

#3 ladybones12

ladybones12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

Why would this help? It was all working with Internet Explorer? Is there something in IE that would stop the attachments opening / downloading that I could turn back on as I don't really want to change too much. I'm getting on a bit...

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

It is quite normal to try another browser, as suggested by Cryptodan, to check if the problem only lies with IE.

Open Internet Explorer, select 'Help', then 'About Internet Explorer'.   This will show what version you are using.  
You can have up to IE9 on Vista. Maybe your IE install needs reset, repair, reinstallation, whatever.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

You can try a reset of Internet Explorer.

Start menu/Control Panel/Internet Options

Advanced tab.

Reset Internet Explorer settings is at the bottom of Advanced.

Click Reset.

You will asked to confirm that you want to Reset. At this point, you can either delete personal
settings or keep them.
When you reset Internet Explorer you can uncheck Preserve Favorites and you will not lose them.

Preserving Favorites has nothing to do with bookmarked pages. In this case it refers to things such as your home page (which will be changed to MSN if you have a different homepage), saved sign in names and passwords, default search provider (will be changed to Bing) and other things related to how you have IE set up.

Resets home pages, search providers and Accelerators to default setting. Deletes temporary Internet files, history, cookies, web form information, Activex Filtering and Tracking Protection data, and passwords.

I have reset IE many times, each time unchecking Preserve Favorites and have NEVER lost my bookmarked sites.

Click the Reset button.

After reset, your home page will be set to msn.com  You can easily change it to the page you prefer.

Another alternative is try system restore, back to a date just before the issue began.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/system-restore-vista.htm

#6 ladybones12

ladybones12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

I have tried the reset..no joy. Could it be security or something loaded by the IT man that is causing a conflict? Another website hints it could be registers but then says you shouldn't touch them! HELP!

Is there anyone else out there still using Orange Mail that has had a problem too?

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

Please try another browser, as companies love to add code and features that are not fully supported in Internet Explorer due to the standards.

If you use another browser, and then the same thing happens that will rule out browser issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users