Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I fix screen resolution and powersaver sticking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stuffandthings

stuffandthings

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:12 AM

Hey all --

New to the forums. I have a question regarding my HP Windows 7 G-series notebook malfunctioning. I'm afraid it might be a problem with the hardware breaking down, or it could just be a software problem thats well-known and easily fixable.

Recently when I booted up my computer like normal, everything on the desktop was big, even though i didnt change the resolution at all. I tried making a bigger and then back to normal resolution and it did not fix the problem.  I notice that when I boot up, it shows the welcome screen, and it flashes for a sec for some reason, like its changing the resolution (perhaps). 

Then, i tried running Ccleaner like i normally do, as well as the registry cleaner (which came up as empty), shutting down and rebooting the computer. Everything was still big. By that time i was using the battery, and put it on powersaver.

I shut it down when i was done, and then booted it back up later, and when i went to put it back on normal power after plugging my charger back in, it wouldnt go back to the normal interface. it just stayed stuck on powersaver appearance.

I made sure i didnt have any updates to do, which i didnt, and i made sure to do a full virus scan with avast, which came up as clean.

I did a boottime scan.  That also came up totally clean, too.

When it loaded up again, it did the flashing thing again on the welcome screen, and everything was still big, and the powersaver setting was still a problem.

After that, I looked into the tune-up program from HP.  I noticed it needed BIOS processer updates.  I did those.  It re-wrote images and rebooted and did its thing.  I loaded back up, and still, same problem.

I shut the computer down.  I took out the battery.  I cleared the power within the computer by holding the powerbutton down and then pressing it a few more times.  I then put the battery back in, and turned the computer back on.

When I booted up again, the problems still remained.  There was no change.  Big resolution for no reason, and the powersaver setting appears to be stuck, even though I can click the button to put it back to normal.

Any help with this issue would be greately appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

PS.  Things to note that might be of relevance - in the past couple of months I have been using a cord to plug into my TV from my notebook to put the monitor up on it.  The other day I also messed a bit with the display between having it duplicated, or extended, between my monitor and my TV screen.  I don't know if this effects anything but this stuff wasnt happening during that time. 

If you are part of the 99%, you are automatically a part of the Occupy movement.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Just a comment...please remove all registry cleaners/optimizers from your system.  BC does not support the use of such.  The following are worth reading.

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

Louis

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

Did you update the video drivers?  I'd recommend going into Device Manager and deleting the display adapters and then rebooting the machine.  The display adapters should be reinstalled on boot.

#4 stuffandthings

stuffandthings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

I checked on what you said RK.  There was no update available, but I did roll the driver back to the previous one, and then update it again.  It updated, reoboot the computer, and it went back to normal settings!

My partner was able to help me fix the powersaver thing.  It was just about transparency on the toolbar while unplugged. 

Thank you very much for the suggestion RK, and thanks for the links, Mod

If you are part of the 99%, you are automatically a part of the Occupy movement.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users