Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

notepad by default opens this file

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kingshere

kingshere

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:59 AM

hi all

Its not that big a problem but is irritating. When i open any new notepad file it contains the text as in the attached file. I have to select all and then delete to write anything new.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:44 AM

g'day and Welcome to BC !

Open the notepad again......and then click on File>>>Exit.

Try it again

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Might want to check the short cut you're using to launch Notepad.  If it looks like this - notepad.exe "C:\Windows\Temp\Info.txt" then it is opening Info.txt every time you launch it.

Another possibility would be that what you are actually opening is a text file that has been associated with Notepad.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

Just curious, what happens if you rename this file?

#5 kingshere

kingshere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

@RKilroy : this is happening when i make a new notepad file ( type notepad in run and press ok ) all the data is already in the file. I deleted the temp and %temp% too but still happens.

@Romeo29 : i have to use save as to save a new file.

i searched through the hard disk using the name of the file and found a PDF file  which has the same content. Shall i delete the file and check if it helps. Don't want to mess up things. could not upload the file

PLZ HELP

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

Don't delete the .PDF file just in case you need it again in the future, but you could rename it by prefixing its existing name with, say, 'Old_' .  However, you have got me curious - I just tried opening a .PDF file in Notepad (by changing 'Type of file' to 'All') and I didn't get any text just a load of symbols which I presume is its interpretation of the code in the .PDF file. I also tried opening Notepad using your method - typing 'Notepad' in the 'Run' box- and it came up as a blank new file.

Try opening Notepad a different way - 'Start / Programs / Accessories' for example - and see if you get the same result. If you do, then I would be inclined to look at Kilroy's suggestion. Create a new icon for notpad and make sure it is pointing at 'C:\Windows\notepad.exe' , that's where it lives in Win 7.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

- Run elevated command prompt. ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/ )

- Type sfc /scannow in the command prompt.

#8 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:34 AM

I dont understand, are you opening pdf's with notepad? If so jut set the file association back to FoxitReader or AdobeReader using the right click file/properties/change to << program mentioned

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users