Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Winxp Home

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jesus4me

Jesus4me

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:28 PM

When I tried to install WinXP Home on top of an existing Win XP Home OS, the software installation gets as far as "Installing Windows" with a progress bar designated "Installing Devices". At about 75%, the PC crashes and I receive a blue background screen with the following information, "A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to the computer" It also states that the problem was with file vobid.sys. I have tried to start the pc in ALL the safe mode choices but it will not go into safe mode and a message comes up that re-installation of WinXP Home will be restarted. After which it crashes at the same point previously noted above. Even when prompted to exit the installation, it goes right back to the install setup which appears to be running on it's own prior to windows opening. I'd like to get to the command prompt and delete vobid.sys, but I don't have a WinXP boot disk. Is there a way to make a WinXP boot disk? Would this help matters? I have lots of files that I need to save before I reformat the HDD. I had a problem with this same PC about two years ago and ended up re-formatting the HDD using a friend's copy of e-machines recovery disk. The HDD was factory shipped with WinXP Home on a partition, but after reformatting, I lost everything. So now it does not have a partition, it's just one big pile of doo-doo and has been getting so slow that I thought I'd be able to reinstall XP and get a clean start w/out losing everything again. The pc is a HP Pavilion 533c with a 60 GB HDD, 512 MB Ram and Pentium 4 2.4 GHz. Any help will sure be appreciated! QUOTE "Big Pile of DOO-DOO :thumbsup: "

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wallsfrank

wallsfrank

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

www.windowsbbs.com/printthread.php?t=36649&pp=40 go here i think this will help you let me know

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:16 AM

Booted into safe mode & searched for files called vobid.sys and found it's the driver for Pinnacle Instant Drive (virtual cdrom) that comes as a feature in their Instant Copy software. It was blue screening when HT was enabled. I removed all traces of the software & the driver.

from here: http://www.abxzone.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-60547.html

Another thread suggested disabling USB in the BIOS - installing XP - then enabling USB again
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Jesus4me

Jesus4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 02:02 PM

I gave up on this and turned it over to a friend with higer knowledge of pc repairs. He accomplished this problem by installing another bootable HDD, made it the master and the broke one the slave. I had tried that unsuccessfully, reckon my jumper settings were wrong. Long story short, he got my files saved and then reformatted, partioned and installed XP Home. All without charging me a dime! God Bless good friends! Thanks for trying to help if you replied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users