Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Atari game console relaunched! No kidding! Atari is back!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

Just visited my local Walgreens pharmacy and to my surprise, the Atari gaming console was on the store shelf for $49.95 USD brand new still in the box and branded Atari Flashback 4.0 Classic Game Console on the box!!

Has anyone else noticed these in your local store?

Here's a Walmart link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/23993446?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3&adid=22222222227017352203&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=25379580036&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=50598625596&veh=sem

If so, what's your opinion?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 November 2013 - 09:14 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

Actually, that isn't made by Atari but by AtGames.  My first game system was the Atari 7800, then came the NES and SNES, which I had to share, then the Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, PlayStation 3, Wii U, and now PlayStation 4.  I avoid Walmart like the plague but haven't seen these in Target, then again, I don't bother going to the toys aisle.

3939.png

#3 retrorogue

retrorogue

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

Old news actually. The Flashback series was launched in 2004 by Legacy Engineering (now Syzygy Co) for Atari. They did the Flashback 1, 2, and 2+ (the 2 and 2+ recreate the original Atari 2600 on a single chip). AtGames took over the brand in 2011 and did the Flashback 3 and now the 4. The 3 and 4 use emulators, so it won't be a much different experience than an emulator on your computer or phone. Likewise, the 4's controllers are infrared remote controls and there's been some complaints on them being very touchy to use (i.e. you have to be within a perfect line of sight with the console).

The 2 and 2+ are actually hackable to allow the addition of a cartridge port to play original Atari cartridges. The 3 and 4 are not.

Edited by retrorogue, 19 November 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

Very good information retrorogue and much appreciated.

I do find it amusing that in todays current availability of 3D games that anyone would still be interested in playing those old games.

I did use emulators on my computer to play the original NES Final Fantasy games, but that was mostly because the series is currently still in production. Just think, the creators never imagined Final Fantasy would make it past the first game.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 retrorogue

retrorogue

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

Retro gaming has been popular for the last 20 or so years, so I'm really not that surprised. Emulated collections for consoles and mobile devices continue to be very popular, as do plug and plays like this. The graphics don't really have anything to do with it, it's the fun and simplicity of the gameplay - and in many cases the memories of people who grew up with these games. While most of it is targeted towards people around gen-x age range (since that's who grew up with it), it's important to note that there's a very large (and older) demographic as well:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/18/baby-boomers-video-games_n_4297675.html

Edited by retrorogue, 19 November 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#6 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

I saw this for sale years ago, but for the fact that I still owned the original Atari 2600 and about 180 cartridges, if I wanted to play it I could just fire up the original system. However my Atari 2600 has recently shown that the 30+ year old components may have aged to the point that there is a run of tolerances so I might find myself replacing old dried up capacitors etc. There seems to be something out of tolerance on the channel 2/3 transmitter side of the system to where picture quality is not as sharp as it use to be.

But I did however buy into these Single Joystick with 2 RCA cable ( Audio/Video ) Game Systems that Walmart had for Coleco, Intellivision, Atari, Sega Master System, and 2 which were by Bally Midway which had the better games for Atari etc. They each take like 4 x AA batteries and I havent played them in a while. I now realize that hopefully none of them were stored with batteries in them to leak. Going to check that out when I get home from work.

I also have a small battery operated Sega Genesis that is just like this Atari Flashback in which it wont take cartridges its all just what ever is on the internal ROM. The Sega Genesis plays well but also requires 4 x AA batteries and it has a sticker suggesting alkaline batteries only, but I have gamed quickly on it with a cheap $1.00 -  4 pack of Rayovac drycells  and it played just fine. I cant justify buying a pack of batteries these days for $6.00 so I usually go cheap for the $1.00 packs at Walmart and Dollar store.

If you have kids in the house that turn stuff on and forget to turn it off, you actually save money by not burning $6.00 per power switch mistake and only $1.00 per "I forgot to turn my game or toy off" for a $5.00 savings per occurance. I also tried the route of rechargeable batteries, but my wife pulled a no brainer and threw the batteries away and didnt look to see that they were rechargeable, so $15 wasted there in trying to save money on batteries. Batteries dont need to be this expensive, its insane! .... sorry if I went off topic quickly there on battery prices.

But anyways my brother bought the Atari Flashback and his complaint was that it should have all titles ever created for the Atari 2600, and it only has the titles that they were given the rights to add to the systems ROM, so if you want to play some games you either find yourself buying the original game on ebay etc to plug into your Atari2600 which requires a RCA to Coax converter for modern TV's or as my one Canadian friend stated, there are emumators out there on the web to play the games on your PC, although not sure about the legalities of them, so I haven't messed with those since after all I have the original Atari 2600 to play them on.

#7 optimusprime49

optimusprime49

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

i see those at flea markets

#8 bodiddley

bodiddley

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

I actually still have my original 2600 - it's at LEAST 30 years old or more (I think we got it in about 1979, maybe 1980?) and it's working like a champ.

Well, ok, not like a champ... a few of the games seem to be unresponsive- and I've bought more whenever I see at thrift stores. My son, now 11, growing up in the age of touchscreens, virtual reality games and almost everything POV, is totally enamored with the 2600. And I'm surprised how I can play games on this console - with pixels the size of playing cards, and it STILL is just as heart-racing and stressful as playing a POV shooting game with realistic graphics and jump-scares.

I see another post here where someone's seeing issues with "dried up" electronics in an old console, and my heart bleeds!  Maybe I just lucked out - or my Dad's almost OCD-level of nagging in keeping the console CONSTANTLY covered when not in use (my mother actually sewed a custom-fit cover), kept it dust-free?  Weird... just funny to plug it in with all the adapters to the coax, and to see the questionable video quality showing up on a huge flat-screen TV - two technologies that should have never met (it's almost like some kind of steampunk reality!)

The relaunches of the machines are great - but not quite the same. It is sad they can't just include ALL the games possible. I'm an emulator nut - so even the ROMs for the arcade games I remember so fondly are just nostalgia overload. I would suggest EVERYONE look into MAME and ROMs, as an educational experiment, to remain legal... as it's such a great experience.

Edited by bodiddley, 23 February 2018 - 12:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users