Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total Mess - Need Help - What's the Problem?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cryptvill

Cryptvill

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

Okay, so I've been to this forum before and you guys always help me - I'm back.

Back in November 2008 (5 years ago) I bought my first gaming computer. Here this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/180461/big-newb-buying-a-gaming-comp/?p=1013502

Graphics card is: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB DDR5 PCI-Express Dual DVI-I & TVO [+505] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)

When I initially bought it in 2008, I never felt like I got the best possible use of the graphics card. It seemed like I could not install both drivers for it (the radeon 4870 x2 is two graphics cards in one?) and it gave me problems, BUT it got the job done and worked for gaming, even with half of its power.

Eventually, I caved in, bought a NVIDIA Gefre graphics card, and that didn't work well either. Whatevs. I went back to the radeon 4870x2.

So now, the problem I am having is it is massively over heating and causing my computer to restart.

I wiped everything, and went with windows xp - which worked well, except for the fact that windows xp did not even register that I had a graphics card. So I went to upgrade to windows 7. Upon completion of windows 7 install, the computer will NOT turn on or go further. Basically, it turns on... immediately crashes, and restarts in an infinite loop.

I checked the inside of it, and the graphics card is burning hot. I have a feeling that Windows 7 makes use of the graphics card and whatever the process is - it's causing it to over heat and crash my computer.

Now... I'm here... I don't know what to do.

I can:

a) Buy a new graphics card, with black friday coming up it should be an easy purchase... but is THIS the problem or is it something bigger with my motherboard???

B) Buy a new gaming computer... a bit steeper in price, but obviously this would fix my problem...

c) fix the current one somehow... I would love to do this, but I'm not sure what can be done... the card is burning up on me.. I can't access anything on my computer without it crashing.

Bonus question: How does the ATI Radeon 4870x2 rate in today's marketplace? Is this graphics card still amazing as it was in 2008??

Thanks,

Ron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

Might be time to take it apart and reapply some thermal paste to the heatsink and make sure the fans moving well.

#3 Cryptvill

Cryptvill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

Any more opinions, guys?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

Welcome back to the help forum.

I read your description above, I am curious if you have ever went into the system BIOS and made any changes regarding your video processors settings?

How much room is available inside your case for unrestricted air flow?

If you could provide pictures showing the inside of your case that would be great!

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Cryptvill

Cryptvill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hi mate, thanks for the help.

1) No, I've never entered BIOS to make changes.

2) There is reasonable amount of room. I will get pictures up when I can...

I am using compressed air to clean dust in the heatsink right now.

Thanks.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

Okay, great!

BIOS settings can have a lot to do with video processor issues. Also, some newer video cards are better supported if a BIOS upgrade is performed.

More info coming after I research your older topic. I may suggest a few things, but wish a better understanding as to what I am dealing with here in regards to what hardware your computer consists of.

And I want to do some research on your BIOS setup utility's settings as well.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Cryptvill

Cryptvill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

Bruce - That's great. Interesting theory here - I'd love for that to be the simple solution to my chaotic problem. Thanks for your time here in helping me out.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Okay, first thing I am doing is adding your computer specs to this topic. It makes it easier to work on this topic if that information is included. Look at the list below and tell me if anything has changed besides your switching out the ATI for the Nvidia GeForce video card (Which you never told us what video card model number that was.)

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 [+104] (64-bit Edition [+19])

MOTHERBOARD: Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard SAS Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,Dual GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio [+80]

MEMORY: (Req.DDR3 MainBoard) 6GB (3x2GB) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Triple Channel Memory [+240] (Corsair or Major Brand)

VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB DDR5 PCI-Express Dual DVI-I & TVO [+505] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)

SOUND: Creative Labs SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 24-BIT PCI Sound Card [+64]

POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts Power Supplies [+24] (Corsair CMPSU-750TX - Quad SLI Ready [+90])

#9 Cryptvill

Cryptvill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

This list is correct. I had the GeForce for a little while, did not work, so I switched BACK to the ATI Radeon 4870x2.

All is correct.

The problem seems to be something with the drivers/graphics card.

Windows XP install worked on my computer.

When I install windows 7 I get a really quick blue crash screen that tells me something about the drivers crashing. And it just restarts... then back to the blue screen... then restart... etc.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

You originally had Windows Vista service pack 1 correct?

Bruce.

#11 Cryptvill

Cryptvill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hm. I believe so. This is true.

My BSOD is saying to me: Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed. That is what i read when i got the blue screen of death.

#12 Cryptvill

Cryptvill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

I've found this information out:

Well the likenly causews of a 0x116 stop are as follows:

Usual causes: Video driver, overheating, bad video card, BIOS, Power to card

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Yes, I am familiar with that error. I had a GeForce AGP video card that that happened with often.

It has to do with Windows 7 mostly, there is a fix for it though, but it requires editing a value in the windows registry for the time out time.

If you feel confident messing with the windows registry and know that you have to back it up before you make changes, I can provide you with some links that explain how to do it.

Bruce.

#14 Cryptvill

Cryptvill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

Not too confident with it.

So the best bet for me is to use windows xp, windows 8, or linux/ubuntu?

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:23 AM

No Windows 7 is fine really. Sometimes that error will go away if you try a different driver version. I've even gone back to an older driver and that sometimes resolved the problem. See there is a known issue about that error you speak of with windows 7 and Vista for that matter.

Here let me post some links that speak about that issue, reading it might help you understand it better this link speaks about Windows Vista but Microsoft never updated it to include Windows 7. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368.aspx

Also read this from Nvidia GeForce's forum board: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/389688/geforce-drivers/nvidia-statement-on-tdr-errors-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-/

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users