Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive enclosure will not show up in My Computer Page Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Domo!

Domo!

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hello there, I've recently bought a hard drive enclosure for my WD500 GB internal drive but it will not show up after set up installs the drive.

Recently my old Dell Inspiron from 2005 gave out and I took the spare hard drive (not the main hard drive with the OS) out to get the files off of it and purchased the enclosure. I've installed it according to the manual and it functions (makes the proper noises, the power light and activity light is on) fine as far as I can tell. My issue is that after the computer finds it and accepts it as a USB Mass Storage Device, I can't find it.

The computer (Toshiba Satellite L455D with windows 7) will go through the set up and install process and recognize the hard drive (WDC WD50 00AADS-00M2B0 USB device) but when I look for it in my computer it is nowhere to be found. I've been scouring the internet for answers and I have gotten very few. Most tutorials and suggestions aren't helping at all. I'm a little lost here and I hope someone out there can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

Is it showing up in the  Disk management tool?

hit the start ORB and type diskmgmt.msc in the search box. That should show it.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Domo!

Domo!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:18 AM

Hi, there. Thanks for the response. I've entered said command and the drive still does not show. I onlt see the C drive and two other drives with no name. none of which are the 500gb drive.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

Hi,

What does the device manager show under Disks and USB controllers when You Plug in or unplug?  Are there any yellow marks showing?

Is anything being recognized? If Not You may have a bad enclosure. Can You take it back for a replacement enclosure?

Are You sure the other two drives with no name are not the 500Gb drive? Can You post a picture of what the  Disk management tool shows.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Domo!

Domo!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

Okay, here's a pic: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XU5MG3E0DW5D_5kENwZg6aTNY8vZo9HjF0pilWTO-VQ?feat=directlink . The only thing that happened when I plugged it in was that it was scanned as the removable hardware and reads as a USB Storage device. I see it in the devices and printers section (I can screenshot that too if you'd like.) I thank you for answering back.

Edited by Domo!, 25 November 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

My issue is that after the computer finds it and accepts it as a USB Mass Storage Device, I can't find it.

Can you check device manager for this usb device attached? Open device manager and expand then attach the drive enclosure and see if the device is added. Another way is to check on another working computer .

Tekken

#7 Domo!

Domo!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:32 AM

I checked the device manager. Here's what it says:https://plus.google.com/photos/105940036326940779108/albums/5950543559340123793?authkey=CKHs-MG0v9-e2gE . I've checked on another computer and the same thing happened. The computer tells me the hard drive installs but then I have no way to access it.

Edited by Domo!, 26 November 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

Try reinstalling the USB Mass Storage Device by expanding the USB Controllers while the WDC hard drive on enclosure is detected/attached. Right-click the USB Mass Storage Device in Device Manager and then uninstall,  no need to reboot. Remove the USB cable then attached it again and let Windows install the generic device driver. What's the result? If no positive effects, try using a Linux bootable disc and see if it can mount outside Windows Environment. An online tutorial is available.

Tekken

#9 Domo!

Domo!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'm on it. I just need to track down some cd-r disks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users