Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

why does Microsoft want me to switch in metro to Microsoft account?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

I recently downloaded Microsoft 8.1 from 8.0.  Since then I have had several issues.  I have worked many of them out.  I needed to install the Kindle app in metro.  It wanted me to put in my local user password, I did.  Then it wanted me to log into my Microsoft account, with password, I did.  Then it wanted a code number.  I put that in.  Then it wanted to put all my documents, pictures, and settings into the cloud. That was something I was unsure whether to do or not.  If I agree to that, it then wants to switch me from my local user account, to my Microsoft account.  I don't want to do that.  Why can't I just keep my local user account?  If I do allow this to happen, I will automatically go to Metro won't I?  I don't want to start in Metro.  I want to start in the desktop, which is where I spend most of my time.  I also read this somewhere, and you had to be on the internet and logged in Microsoft to use your computer.  Is this right?  If it is, I surely do NOT want to do that.  I wish I had stayed with 8.0.  It worked fine there.  Now it has become a royal pain in the rear.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

Nothing will change in your personal account, when you sign in as a microsoft account.  It will backup your profile, so if you end up buying a new machine, or having to reinstall Windows 8.x, everything will come back up on your computer as it was (desktop picture, user picture).  As for Metro, you do not need to use Metro, to run the Kindle App.

The best thing is to not use Metro, use the desktop, and load the desktop version of the Kindle app instead.  The only person making this a royal pita, is you, not Microsoft.

#3 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

I am glad to hear nothing will change, if I sign in via my Microsoft account vs. local user account.  You don't know what all has happened, so you don't know if it has been a royal pain, or not.  Lets just say I've spent untold hours trying to get my computer working the way it was, before the update.  It messed up my firewall, it messed up Netflix on IE, and Firefox, so I could not watch a video.  I went to create a restore point, and saw it wiped out everything.  You have to reconfigure it to set a new restore point.  I had to go to Dell and try to see if I needed new drivers.  It wanted to me to add some drivers I already had.  Dell showed I needed a new USB 3 driver.  I went to download and install that, and it said could not finish installation because of incompatibility issues.  You can get help, then Microsoft has message no solutions found, they will notify me when a solution becomes available.  Firefox crashes when I have it in hibernate now, or sleep mode for too long.  The computer froze this morning, it had never done that before.  I couldn't do anything but turn off the power.  Then it started back up weird, twice.  I could go on, and on, and on.  There are all kinds of episodes like this. 

Well now make that one more computer freeze.  I see the bottom bar with the flag had a clock on it, when I couldn't do anything.  :ranting:

Edited by kelkay, 18 November 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:09 AM

Dells are the worse machines ever.  I used to be a HP/Compaq buyer, now all I am buying is Toshiba laptops with AMD CPU's & GPU's.  I have found that Windows 8.x does not play nice with Intel chipsets, but does like Realtek chipsets, which I have never had any issues updating.

Personally if you are having that many issues with drivers for Windows 8.x, I would just go back to using Windows 7 on that machine, if it originally came with it.  If it came with 8, you should not be having any problems, unless you have bad drivers to begin with.  You can remove them and then install off of a USB stick, the Dell drivers, by first telling Windows 8, to not automatically search for drivers in System Properties, Hardware tab, Device Installation Settings, and check "No, Let me choose what to do".

#5 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

I happened to like this computer.  I've never had a Dell before.  I have had a few different kinds in the past.  This computer came with WIn 8.  It is not a year old yet.  Thanks for your thoughts on this.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

I would contact Dell, and explain the problem.  They may send you a 8.1 OEM disk with the drivers, since you are having so many problems.

#7 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Thank you, that is a good idea.  I will see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users