Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LCD Salvage - Newbie - Dangerous?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HungryEyes

HungryEyes

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

Hey guys!

So I recently replaced an old flatscreen LCD monitor with a brand spankin' new one for my desktop computer, but being how I am, I don't like throwing technology away.

This monitor is at least 5 years old. It's an HP W17e LCD (240V).

The issue with it is that it fizzles out upon starting, hisses, and smells of smoke, but that is another issue for another post.

Right now I am just concerned about safety.

I have already unscrewed and removed the back of the monitor, and now I am left with this intimidating metal cage, with specialty tape and a lot of electrical work.

Should I be worried about capacitors?

The computer has been completely unplugged for 3 days.

I would like to use this monitor as a secondary screen, but is it a better decision to dispose of it?

Thank you,

-Adam

Attached are a couple of photos.

CAM00329_zps66ccd1a4.jpg

CAM00330_zps7549a9e3.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

Someone who has experience with repairing monitors might jump in after me...

In my experience older monitors use a hell of a lot more power than newer ones, and in the long term it may just be cheaper to lay out a liitle cash and get a bottom of the range, low power usage one. I've been buying 24" LED monitors with 3 years warranty for around $160 at the moment (AOC, LG and Samsung)... it's really not a bad option for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users