Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update cleaning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Skippyroo

Skippyroo

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

I use CCleaner and Bleachbit for careful minor cleaning frequently. Nothing big, just trimming really. But I have noticed an item called "update uninstallers" under System on Bleachbit which is not on CC.

Running this item resulted in 5,533 files being listed under a "delete" marker that take up 2 GB of disk space. That is a lot of waste space.

Can I go ahead and delete all these files in perfect safety ? It is a daunting prospect. To give you an idea of this huge list, I show the start and end of it as follows :-

Start -
Bleachbitliststart_zps3f95d363.jpg

End -
Bleachbitlistend_zpsdb981a97.jpg

PS edit - Animal asked what OS I have, it is Windows XP Home 2002 with SP3.

Edited by Skippyroo, 18 November 2013 - 02:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skippyroo

Skippyroo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

In advance of hopefully some constructive and positive comments on this question, I would just add a practical indication to justify deleting all these files.

I have had my PC since around 2001 when it was Win 98. I changed to Win XP around 2002 and have kept it in good operational trim ever since.

In all those 12 years I have never had reason to uninstall a Windows update. In fact such updates have been accepted throughout as part of PC life. I have never even been aware of them except for the actual Windows updating schedules.

So on this record alone, it looks like this 2 GB of rubbish can be deleted with a single click and no harm will be done whatsoever.

Edited by Skippyroo, 18 November 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Well...that seems more like a question Bleachbit support, based on what is reflected.

Me...I don't delete files using 3d-party applications, other than when I want to rid the system of temporary files using TFC.

IMO, the smart thing to do...would be to see if all deletions are saved by that program...and then delete them with the capability of restoring them if problems develop.  If deletions are not saved/backed up...I'd leave them alone.

But it's your system, your call.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users