Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stay away from Windows 8.1 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 FredFrogley

FredFrogley

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop which came with a 1TB drive with windows 8 installed. I cloned this onto an SSD drive (drive C) but left the OS on the SATA drive (now drive F) as a failsafe should the SSD drive fail.

I've just tried to do the 8.1 upgrade. The first attempt failed and it reverted to 8.0. The second time, I initially thought that it had upgraded the inactive OS on drive F because it had changed the F drive to C, and the SSD drive showed up as E. Unable to find any way to revert the drive letters to the way they were, I removed the SATA drive. It then took over half an hour fiddling with the bios before it would even boot (kept telling me there was either no hard drive or no OS). When I finally got it to boot it seemed to be upgrading, but it once again failed and reverted to 8.0.

All in all 4 hours wasted.

Some people may be upgrading without problems but too many people are having problems. Better to wait until Microsoft get themselves sorted or Bill Gates gets a brain transplant.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

Where are you getting this incorrect information about a mass majority of people having issues with installing 8.1?  I have only heard of a handful, at most 10 instances of people having problems with installing 8.1, due to they did not follow the manufacturers or Microsoft's instructions, when installing.

#3 FredFrogley

FredFrogley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

Where are you getting this incorrect information about a mass majority of people having issues with installing 8.1?  I have only heard of a handful, at most 10 instances of people having problems with installing 8.1, due to they did not follow the manufacturers or Microsoft's instructions, when installing.

Try the internet. Its quite a good source!

There are no instructions when you update from within the windows store. Did you use google translate to turn "too many" into "a mass majority"?

pcworld.com - "Windows 8.1 launch weekend plagued by some show-stopping installation issues."

decryptedtech.com - "Weekend Update Woes For Windows 8.1 Users."

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Try the internet. Its quite a good source!

There are no instructions when you update from within the windows store. Did you use google translate to turn "too many" into "a mass majority"?

pcworld.com - "Windows 8.1 launch weekend plagued by some show-stopping installation issues."

decryptedtech.com - "Weekend Update Woes For Windows 8.1 Users."

You mean the FUD out on the Internet.  That so called PCWorld topic, was regarding 8.1 not working with the Surface, and the problem has been fixed a week after the release of 8.1.  So try again, but I can see in my Crystal ball, that you are going to fail to come up with any truth on your FUD you are spreading Fred.

#5 FredFrogley

FredFrogley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

Try reading the whole article. And try checking some of the other reports you can find on Google.

#6 zhood

zhood

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

The internet isn't always such a great source of information. Have you seen that commercial where the female finds a date and she saw that he was a painter from France or something, and it ended up being an overweight, balding gentleman? Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

#7 FredFrogley

FredFrogley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Is this site sponsored by Microsoft?

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:52 AM

Try reading the whole article. And try checking some of the other reports you can find on Google.

I know that article.  I read both of them the day they came out, and both are full of FUD.  As stated, that problem was fixed by MS within a week, and 8.1 was placed back into the store.  The problem was more related to the Surface tablets, then laptop & desktop version of 8.

You Fred need to read before again spouting off FUD.  I have been doing this stuff since 1977, and know more about computers then you most likely do, along with watching what is going on in the industry.

Also for your info, I do not use Google for searching, since those sites that pay to put their sites at the top, along with tracking what you are doing, so they can only show you certain items, is why I do not use it.  I also do not need to use Google to find this stuff out, since I find it out before most through those I work with on computer issues, and also through various tech journals.

Edited by Greg62702, 20 November 2013 - 12:56 AM.

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

Where in the world are you getting that fact?  Now you are stating that BC is a Fanboy/girl site for MS software?  Boy Fred, you are really digging that hole even deeper here.

#10 jaytee84

jaytee84

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

You guys really don't have anything better to do.. Who the hell cares this thread should have been closed 9 comments ago grow up

#11 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

I agree with jaytee,we are supposed to help and inform,not insult each other.Can someone close this thread.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

As a staff member, I do not think the answer is to close this thread. This is a public forum board, people have a right to voice their opinions and that opinion has a right to be heard here, even if it is wrong as long as it does not harm anyone personally. Even I'm guilty of being wrong from time to time with what I say here, we're all human, remember that. However, it is the conduct of those participating in said topic that does matter. If a member is wrong IMO they deserve the same respect as someone who is right. That is how things work here.

So in conclusion, it is not the topic that is in question here, it is the conduct of those participating in said topic that is. Such misconduct or insults against another forum member, such as name calling, will eventually get said person put on the banned members list and we really don't want that to happen do we?

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 jaytee84

jaytee84

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

yea sure don't close it.. weigh in with another opinion

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

As a staff member, I do not think the answer is to close this thread. This is a public forum board, people have a right to voice their opinions and that opinion has a right to be heard here, even if it is wrong as long as it does not harm anyone personally. Even I'm guilty of being wrong from time to time with what I say here, we're all human, remember that. However, it is the conduct of those participating in said topic that does matter. If a member is wrong IMO they deserve the same respect as someone who is right. That is how things work here.

So in conclusion, it is not the topic that is in question here, it is the conduct of those participating in said topic that is. Such misconduct or insults against another forum member, such as name calling, will eventually get said person put on the banned members list and we really don't want that to happen do we?

Bruce.

I agree with Bruce that people have a right to voice their opinions, and everyone deserves respect whether right or wrong.

Keep in mind that what is right and what is wrong are subjective. What one person considers right someone else may consider wrong.

He is also correct about the conduct of participants in this topic. Insults and flaming will not be tolerated. Neither will an "I'm right and your wrong" "I know more than you do" attitude.

For now the topic will remain open and closely monitored. If there are more insults and flaming it will be closed.

Where in the world are you getting that fact? Now you are stating that BC is a Fanboy/girl site for MS software? Boy Fred, you are really digging that hole even deeper here.

What I see is a simple question. Fred does not state or imply that BC is affiliated with Microsoft or is a fanboy site for Microsoft.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 November 2013 - 07:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users