Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gimp Installer Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 grouser

grouser

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

Hi.I recently did a complete re install of windows 7 on my computer after installing all up dates/software I went to download and run Gimp which was on my machine previously but I keep getting the message 

INSTALLER

"There was an error processing the product information

Please try down loading the Installer again".

No matter how many times I do retry the same message pops up.

I tried installing an early edition thinking that if this runs I can update to the later version only to have the message that

"Gimp-2.6.0-i686-setup-1,exe couldn't be downloaded"

I'm not a genius with computers but try my best to learn but this problem as me stumped  

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2013 - 06:51 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:25 AM

Hi,

Have you tried downloading the latest version of GIMP, which is 2.8.8 and can be obtained from here: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

#3 grouser

grouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for a quick reply Dis62  that was the first site I chose to download from. I tried both downloading from HTTP and FTP sites  and although it down loaded it got almost to the end when I got this on the download bar "Gimp 2.8.8-setup(1).exe couldn't be downloaded" as I first said I'm not a computer genius but it as to be a settings problem I'm thinking but then I'm clutching at straws really

Edited by grouser, 18 November 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hi grouser,

What anti-virus and web browser are you using?  And are you able to download other .exe files?

Edited by dls62, 18 November 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#5 grouser

grouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

Sorry for delay have to pick grandson up from School, in answer to questions I'm using IE 11 and an ISP version  of F-secure don't think I used IE 11 the last time I downloaded it but I certainly had F-Secure AV when I did last time, haven't tried other exe files so don't know, Had a thought re exe. files I also use Super Anti Spyware and Malawarebytes am I right in thinking they down exe.files if so I don't have a problem with either when updating or am I on the wrong track

Edited by grouser, 18 November 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#6 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hi,

May I suggest that you reset your Internet Explorer settings.  The easiest way is using the Microsoft FixIt here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Also clear out your temp files.  You can download TFC from the downloads section of this site if you don't already have suitable program.

Then try downloading the installer again.

#7 grouser

grouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

Well I tried that and still no joy, did a search on Google and some posts indicate a malware link so I ran Malawarebytes full scan and found 3 objects classed as PUP which were removed rescanned and was clear ran antispyware and only tracking cookies were found which were removed rescan came back clear ran antivirus full scan nothing found tried downloading ADWcleaner which downloaded okay and as it was an .exe file I assume there is no problems downloading these files with IE11,I even downloaded and saved gimp on my laptop to a USB drive and that worked okay but when I went to run it on my desktop I got the Installer failure notice again, I'm getting a bit cheesed off with this now as some files will down load and run but this thing won't I also tried downloading and running Firefox but that would not run also as I got same message re the .exe file cannot run. Any further help will be welcome 

Edited by grouser, 18 November 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#8 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:18 AM

Hi grouser,

Download and run the file from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/fixexec/dl/15/

This will reset any file associations for .exe files that may have been changed.

As well as that, click Start and type "cmd" [without the quotes] in the search box.  Right click on the cmd program and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In the command window that opens, type "sfc /scannow" [again without the quotes].  This will scan your system files and replace any that are corrupt or missing.

If the above doesn't solve your problem,  I note that hamluis has moved this topic to the Am I infected? What do I do? forum, so I'll leave any further advice to one of the Malware Removal Team.

Good luck.

Edited by dls62, 19 November 2013 - 05:19 AM.

#9 grouser

grouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:36 AM

Hi Dias62,Thanks for the link, I saw this also as I was looking for an answer it was going to be my next attempt to try and fix the problem, but as you rightly say because of it being moved to Am I infected thread I am now reluctant to do anything without seeing if my compy is clean, I presume it to be after a reinstall of windows via the recovery section on my compy, but then who am I know for certain, I only used Makers sites to download  stuff that I needed to run older stuff on a windows 7 machine, I think the PUP's I found using Malawarebytes were when I used what I took to be trusted sites when I couldn't down load from the first site I used which was Gimps own site. Anyway thanks for the suggestions and the quick replies to my problem, now I will sit and wait hoping it will get picked by another kind soul who can sort it out,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users