Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live mail won't open - Win 7 64 bits

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Konadan

Konadan

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:32 AM

All of sudden, it won't open. I don't want to uninstall and re-install.  I will lose all my contacts and various email configurations.  Please help.

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2013 - 02:43 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Are you receiving any error messages?

From what I've been able to find it appears that Windows Live Mail may have a problem closing properly when this occurs.

Open the Task Manager and see if wlmail.exe  is running, if it is end the process, exit the Task Manager and restart Window Live Mail.

The above is a workaround, if the problem persists you can try the solution found at the Windows Seven Forums.

Edited by dc3, 18 November 2013 - 10:37 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for your reply.  I believe I have a corruption problem.  There is a a Win7 command that scans your entire OS for missing or corrupted files, but I can't remember the name.  Do you know...Anyone know?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

That would be sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Sart orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png and type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

A page similar to the one below will open.

commandprompt_zps212bc71a.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the info, DC3!  Unfortunitly, the sfc/scannow didn't find anything wrong.

#6 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

I looked at the above link (thank you). I couldn't find C:\Users\(I put in my user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WLSetup\Logs. I need help.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

If the scan didn't find any file integrity issue we won't need the log.

Just for a future reference...

Right click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then click on Open Windows Explorer.

Click on Local Disk (C:), Click on Windows, scroll down and click on Logs.

In Logs click on CBS.  

Edited by dc3, 20 November 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#8 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

Thanks

#9 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

Google Chrome does the same thing as Firefox...goes to a blank page.  Win IE crashes when I open it. Does this help?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

I looked at the above link (thank you). I couldn't find C:\Users\(I put in my user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WLSetup\Logs. I need help.

The back slash [ \ ] means click on the following. So you would right click on the Start Orb and choose Open Windows Explorer\C:\Users\   (At this point it will open a window with your name in the list, click on that)\AppData\Local\Microsoft]WLSetup\Logs

#11 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for your help.  I was able to find the Logs file.  I deleted everything in it, but still no help.

Moderator Edit: Moved from the Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to Am I Infected Forum.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 November 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#12 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

I have Malwarebytes and it won't open.  No one has contacted me to help with my problem since my issue has been moved.

Edited by Konadan, 28 November 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

Try to run RKill and then MBAM again.

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.
  • Link 1
  • Link 2
    • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
    • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

I ran it, and no issues were found.  A report was sent.

Edited by Konadan, 04 December 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

Please post the Rkill log as a reply in this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users