Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change language from Russian to French

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lullay

Lullay

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

My father received a new computer while travelling for his job in Russia. And as lovely as that gift is, the whole thing works in Russian. Which means even the alphabet is different and we can't read a thing on it. After trying to understand how it works, I found how to change the language but it doesn't entirely change it. The only thing that changes is the language of the start-up menu. The rest is still in Russian and the alphabet is still in Russian.

And I really am not used to the new Windows 8 appearance so I can't even try to guess because everything is different from my computer.

So far, I've found out two things I should probably mention. First is that I can't just download the language pack because it's apparently already on the computer so the download button isn't available. Second, since it's in Russian, I can't update to the new Windows 8.1 version and all the explanations for this problem on the Microsoft website are only available for that version.

If anyone can help, please do ! I'd really appreciate it.

I hope my explanation was clear enough and if not, do feel free to ask me any question :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

The very first thing you or your father needs to do, is do a Military wipe on the hard drive, and install a known good issue of Windows on the machine.  Now of course it could still have a hardware based keylogger built into the machine, due to it did come from Russia, and unless your father has a reputable shop check the machine out, to make sure, I personally would not touch it for a buck, if it came from Russia.

Really you need to just tell your father to not use that machine, sell it and get one from a dealer or computer manufacturer that you can trust.

#3 Lullay

Lullay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

Thank you for answering :)

What I don't understand is why wiping the hard drive is necessary since it is new.

It was bought yesterday at the airport just before getting into the airplane. Now, I'd assume that the seller is to be trusted since he is located in the airport.

So I'm asking again, if there is no other way to change the language without going to such extremes. Should I tell him to just send it back to the manufacturer with the warranty or can we fix it ourselves ?

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

Devices from Russia have been known to contain Keyloggers, Rootkits, along with Trojans, to gather information from the user, and send it back to servers in Russia.  See the following, regarding how they got our heads of state, during the G20 summit.  http://engineeringevil.com/2013/10/29/phone-chargers-given-to-world-leaders-by-g20-russian-hosts-were-able-to-capture-data-for-the-kremlin/  See this about hiding keyloggers in the GPU http://www.csd.uoc.gr/~gvasil/slides/gpukeylogger.eurosec13.pdf  See the part about laptop keyloggers http://www.technicalinfo.net/blog/security/20071222_HardwareKeyloggers.html

#5 Lullay

Lullay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

We contacted Microsoft and were able to receive an answer relating to our problem.

So, thank you again Greg62702 for posting even if it didn't answer my question. I do appreciate it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users