Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several problems and one fatal issue

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 marcodaz

marcodaz

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

Hi all. I'm not the kind of person to look for help on a forum because I hate to ask questions and I really rather search for it on the internet, but I can't seem to find anything about this problem.

First a bit of history:

A few months ago there was nothing wrong. Everything was working fine except for some minor problems regarding internet explorer to be unable to open (wich I dont miss since I don't use it).

Some time later my pc got troubles booting up. First this just happened occasionally so it didn't bother me that much, but some time later it got really annoying and frustrating because I had to restart my computer at least 20 times before it got into windows without hanging. It just hanged at random points. Sometimes after the boot up check. Sometimes at the "windows is starting" message (the windows logo wouldn't appear) and sometimes the logo appeared and it stopped there. Also I had to manually reset the computer since it was just completely stuck so it asked if I wanted to boot normaly or in recovery. I tried recovery, but it just hanged at loading the files, but sometimes it got through and recovery started, but always without results. Sometimes my computer made it into windows, but got a BSOD right away and there were the happy times when my pc just booted up. 

That was then. I was so frustrated and I wanted to throw the whole thing just around my room. I work in the ICT and I studied ICT and application development so I tried everything in my vision. I thought it must be the memory so I tried and checked that, but the problem was not solved. Then I thought it might be the HDD. After some searching and some testing I thought it would probably not be the HDD. When I bought this computer (2nd hand) I came to the discovery that the mainbord was defect. The guy I bought it from switched the USB connectors on some other pins and it burned a chip so I replaced the mainboard. It's new so I thought that it couldn't be the mainboard.

Finally I came across some readings of my PSU. 12v was 12v and 1.6 was 1.6 but what supposed to be 5v was around 2.4. I still don't know if that is a problem and if the 5v line is still in use (never been such a hardware geek. Just software), but it made me think that the PSU must be defect so I replaced it and all the problems were gone!

2 Months later. Nothing special happened. I use my pc on a daily basis and no problems were occuring.

Until just now. I was out of my room for a minute or 10 and when I came back i saw a BSOD dumping a crashdump. I rebooted, but again a BSOD. That was the moment I felt sick. Hopeless and powerless. I just wanted my PC to work. I don't have time for this!

Well after restarting 5 times I got back in Windows and looked for the crashdump, but I do not have experience with that and the debugger doesn't seem to use the correct symbols. I can attach the files though.

Only thing that I can find in the crashdump is this:

"Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+11cb2a )".

Anyway I was checking everywhere. And wanted to scan everything and check everything, but I didn't know where to start so I checked for rootkits wich made me restart my PC.

I've never should have done that. Took me at least 30 minutes of restarting, save-mode, recovery and other crap to finally quit it all. Sick and tired of it I watched some TV, but I couldn't let it just happen like that so I booted up the PC once more and first thing it did was just starting into windows.

Now I'm typing this message on this forum in the hope there is anyone to recognise this problem who will help me. I'm glad to provide you with everything you need to help me.

Basic specs:

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz 44 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. SABERTOOTH X58 (LGA1366) 50 °C
Graphics
PLG2773 (1920x1080@60Hz)
SyncMaster (1680x1050@60Hz)
1536MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 48 °C
Storage
698GB Seagate ST3750330AS ATA Device (SATA) 35 °C
931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA) 36 °C
2794GB Seagate ST3000DM 001-1CH166 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 37 °C
55GB OCZ-AGIL ITY3 SCSI Disk Device (SSD) 30 °C
Optical Drives
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-218L ATA Device
Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

P.S: The several other problems are not important now. I will open a new topic once it needs fixing.

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2013 - 03:14 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

ntoskrnl.exe problems can usually be fixed with "sfc /scannow" on the elevated command line... and if not I usually move to a repair installation then. You can't fix it manually.

As to how this has come about, that bad luck bro... too much pain. I'll never buy second hand again either.

edit: Bluescreenview is a nice little program to get some human readables out of those crashdumps, which may help also...

Edited by TsVk!, 17 November 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:02 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#4 marcodaz

marcodaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

Thanks TsVk!,

I indeed think that this problem has something to do with my filesystem and not my hardware because the same problem is occuring now when I had problems a while ago. I also posted a thread here asking for help with that. The download problem was fixed but the internet explorer not working was never fixed. ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/470439/cant-download-any-files-with-any-browser/#entry2857288)

Hi hamluis thanks for the reaction.

I tried downloading MiniToolBox, but I can't download any files anymore. This is a problem I had before and I asked help for that one a while ago: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/470439/cant-download-any-files-with-any-browser/#entry2857288

I did'nt know until I tried downloading the MiniToolBox.

Here's the snapshot (I downloaded Speccy just before the problems occured): http://speccy.piriform.com/results/T0Bmm00iSUKDQhEIW4sUEoZ

Edited by marcodaz, 18 November 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

Did you try the file system repair?

edit: it's a quick&easy first point of call that can avoid a lot of other stuffing around...

Edited by TsVk!, 18 November 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#6 marcodaz

marcodaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

Did you try the file system repair?

edit: it's a quick&easy first point of call that can avoid a lot of other stuffing around...

Yeah, I've tried that back then. Fixed 1 of the 2 problems, but not this problem. I'm planning on reinstalling, but I want to be sure that it's not a hardware related problem.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

try removing

Java 6

MBAM (or just disable realtime protection)

all browsers. (you can enable IE again after in add remove windows features)

run TFC

restart

enable IE and try again...

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

Partition 1
Partition ID: 
Disk #3, Partition #1
Disk Letter: 
C:
File System: 
NTFS
Volume Serial Number: 
A0E238B6
Size: 
55 GB
Used Space: 
53 GB (96%)
Free Space: 
2.78 GB (4%)

I construe that as a "showstopper".  Consensus seems to be that Windows will not work well when available free space on Windows partition is less than 10-15%.

There is no reason for anything to be on C: that is not a system or program file, I suggesting moving video files and games to another drive...you seem to have plenty of space available.

Louis

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

well spotted Louis...

#10 marcodaz

marcodaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

Wow thanks. I've never thought that could get me into trouble. I try installing as much as I can on my other HDD's, but sometimes something slips through. I'll try and check for stuff that I can delete and will let you know if it worked!

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

Uninstalling Java 6 and running TFC are very good ideas.... that will also free up disk space(possibly a lot), clear possible cache infections/clogs, and stop conflicts with new Java versions. MBAM active protection with other antivirus can stop you downloading stuff... And shared .NET file assoc's can stop downloads also which is why I suggested uninstalling browsers then restarting..... Method in the madness.

#12 marcodaz

marcodaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

Uninstalling Java 6 and running TFC are very good ideas.... that will also free up disk space(possibly a lot), clear possible cache infections/clogs, and stop conflicts with new Java versions. MBAM active protection with other antivirus can stop you downloading stuff... And shared .NET file assoc's can stop downloads also which is why I suggested uninstalling browsers then restarting..... Method in the madness.

I will try that now. Thanks. I've free'd up some space, but it seems that I keep using quite some space. At least I've got 7.86 Gb free now.

I deleted Java6 and Firefox, but I can't remove Chrome because IE just does not work. Right now when I do Win + R > iexplore it goes beserk. It creates a huge ammount of iexplore.exe processes wich just seem to do nothing untill the PC crashes or until you end the process tree.

An other thing that is fixed now is opening folders in the same window. As you can read in my previous topic, ive quite given up on that problem. Only way to open a folder inside the current windows was pressing right mouse and press 'o' on the keyboard to open the folder (I assigned a macro to an extra mouse button to do this). Well it's fixed just now. Not sure how. All I did was deleting Java6 ran CCleaner, TFC, deleted files on C: and removed Firefox. It could'nt just be that easy could it?

Edited by marcodaz, 19 November 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, it could be that easy...

Can you download a browser installer? Then uninstall Chrome (with Revo-Uninstaller), restart..., Then you could run Space Sniffer to see what's taking up your disk space (if you are having trouble identifying what to move/delete). Turning off hibernation will delete hyberfil.sys which is a huge file, and free up a good bit of space for you.

I would also run sfc /scannow again after all this... hopefully fix up that run dialogue problem.

#14 marcodaz

marcodaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

I use the hibernate function quite a lot but I'll try. Updating soon!

[Edit]

Wow I honestly have to say that I have been out of (hard and software) buisiness for too long! Revo-Uninstaller and Space-Sniffer are awesome apps and I've never heard of it! Managed to delete some more junk.

Now I'll just find out how to install spotify on my D drive instead of C. Something I've tried before, but again: I hate to ask for help and if something does not work like I want it to work then I will have to work around it.

Most of the problems are gone for now. PC just started normally and did not crash up to now! Also opening folders inside the same window is working fine now. Only thing is that IE just won't start (Not that I miss it, but its just strange).

Also I'm sorry for my spelling and language build-up. English is not my native language.

Edited by marcodaz, 19 November 2013 - 07:52 PM.

#15 marcodaz

marcodaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

It's been 2 days now and no problems occured anymore. Still not able to open IE, but that doesn't bother me. Thanks again for helping me solve my problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users