Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cascading Two Routers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pasha2k6

Pasha2k6

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

I have two routers (Linksys E4200 and Cisco Valet m310). I want to cascade these two router in Lan to Wan configuration which I already know how to do. The only thing that I'am not sure about. When going from Lan to Wan do the SSID have on both routers have to match. in other words The SSID on my main router X0 does the SSID on the router that I'am cascading to have to be X0 as well or can I change it to to X1 for example. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

They can be different. It's like setting up a guest account in most new routers.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

It depends what you want to do, it can work either way.  Check out this page for how to set up two routers with the same SSID.  The advantage of setting them up with the same SSID is that you only have to configure one wireless network on your devices and if one goes down or you move out of its range it will connect to the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users