Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on Performing Disk Defrag

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Barginski

Barginski

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hello all...

Sorry if this information has already been posted elsewhere; I used the search function and was unable to find anything. I am thinking it may be time to defrag my gaming computer... I've had it for six to seven years now and, until recently, I was under the impression that defrags only needed to be completed once. It was done about 4 years ago to the best of my knowledge. I was only recently told by a friend that it can be done more than once.

I am running the Vista 64-bit edition with 4 gigs of RAM. There is about 20 gigs of space left on drive C, which the system is telling me is around 10%. Lately, some of my games (mainly train simulators) have been lagging a little. Having said that, I'm assuming a defrag might help.

I'm not quite sure how to go about it. To the best of my knowledge, I should free up whatever space possible, run checkdisk, and then run the disc defrag utility... but I'm not sure if it's that simple or if there might be more to it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

I would say that it is way past due for a defrag.  I would do that, then use the Disk cleanup tool found in System Tools, and run a program like Temp File Cleaner by oldtimer.

Please download Temp File Cleaner by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
  • Save any unsaved work. (TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!)
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. (If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose "Run As Administrator".)
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 17 November 2013 - 06:23 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

20 gigs of space out of how many total?  The key to defrag is to have low usage on the drive.  If you run at 80% used defrag takes a long time and doesn't get you much.  If you can run at 30% used, defrags are fast and you notice the improvement.  These days docking stations and internal hard drives to slide into them to store data are cheap.

Typically I can easily get my C: partition down to 30% used or less before a defrag.  A quick defrag using a tool like Puran or Auslogics typically takes 15 minutes tops.  I run defrag 3 or 4 times a week as it takes very little time.  Start a defrag. Make a sandwich.  The defrag is done.  :)

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#4 Barginski

Barginski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

At the moment, it is saying there are 21.9 gigs available of 232. I'm not sure if it'd be more beneficial to defrag, or use an external drive to alleviate some of the usage.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

The hdd is getting full, I would agree that you would benefit by moving some of your data to another hdd or removable form of media.  Then do the suggested maintenance in post #2. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users