Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop and Icons disappeared after HDD replacement.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HungryEyes

HungryEyes

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hey guys!

This is just a simple question.  It is simply fueled my curiousity.

I cleaned my Asus laptop today with some canned air.  I sprayed the CPU fan, the battery compartment, and I even removed my hard drive and cleaned it up a bit.

This was my first time actually removing the Seagate HD.  When I put the HD back, as well as everything else, I started up my computer.

To my surprise, my desktop background was gone, as well as my icons and taskbar.  They flickered for a few minutes until everything returned back to normal.

Can someone explain what exactly happened, and how removing and replacing my HD caused this?

Thanks!

Also, I can't tell if it's an illusion or not, but my files and programs seem to load up a little faster, as I have been having HD issues lately.

Could this have helped this, or is this just my imagination?

Thank you,

-Adam B

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hello Adam and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Your desktop settings and icon cache simply rebuilt its self.

I seen this happen plenty of times.

Your disconnecting your hard drive and reconnecting it, may have cleared up a bit of oxidation that was on the contacts between your hard drive and the connectors and the removal of such allowed for a better connection. This is why we often recommend that people we help with failing electronics to try dis-connecting and reconnecting things. This clears up issues with loose or oxidized electrical connections.

If your system is responding faster and stays that way, then I'd say that you discovered the reason why we often recommend doing what you already did.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

Yea and cleaning it out will not only remove oxidization but it will remove dust that causes excessive overheating. In most cases the hardware wont "over heat" but it will run hotter then usual and this will cause your  hardware to run slower and have a harder time. Cleaning this most likely freed up all the gunk interfering with the connection as well as heating issues. 

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:54 PM

You're absolutely correct about that Quantum! :thumbup2:  Heat :flame: and electronics is a :nono: because :flamethrower: :busy: :rip:

Sorry just wanted to add a little humor there.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users