Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router Security Issue - Tijuana Server????

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

I bought a used ATT wireless router off of eBay because my new laptop would not maintain a good connection with the older 2Wire 1800G wireless router I was using.  The price was less than a third of what ATT was asking for the exact same model/router (new).  It's been working just fine -- never an issue.  The newer router with 'n' technology means I have WPA2 for better security.  

My concern is this:  I had a slowdown in my 'net connection, so I ran a speed test and the test results said the server was 'pinging' in Tijuana!!  What?  I called my ISP and they said don't worry about it...just make sure you have a password on your network access or whatever.  I have no idea of the credentials of the person I was speaking with.  But by the end of the conversation, I wasn't convinced.  

Does this mean my internet traffic is being routed through Tijuana?  Does this present a security risk.  Should I go buy a new router direct from ATT?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

This happens allot with At&t it depens on how they are routing the traffic and what GeoIP determines as your location. This does not necessarily mean your traffic is being routed through Tijuana specifically (depends on where your connecting to). I cant speak for the Modem you bought or how secure it is since its previous owner could have made changes. If your really worried I would purchase a new retail router or get one from At&t.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:08 AM

Maybe change time zone in the router.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

Having an incorrect Time zone wouldn't help matters and its definatly not a good Idea. It wouldnt be enough to confuse the geoip service. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Hey guys -- thanks very much.  This info is helpful.  I did not know it was even possible for someone to make changes to the router.  I don't think that is very likely since he was an ebay seller with high approval ratings, etc.  I can talk to ATT about checking the time zone...I don't know if it is even set for the wrong time zone.  The only thing i know is that I have seen 'tijuana' when looking at some network stats.  I will call ATT again to see if they can answer a few more questions before deciding whether to replace.  Of course I would prefer not to have to do that...I could also get a VPN...which I probably 'should' do, for privacy reasons, in any case.  Thanks again!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users