Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Need New 17" Laptop for Graphic Design & Media

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Quorn

Quorn

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

My budget for the new computer is: 
Preferably no more than £1500
But I am able to go higher if necessary

What are the primary uses for this computer? 
1. Graphic/web design, illustration and other media work, using Adobe Creative suite (photoshop, dreamweaver, indesign, illustrator, after effects, etc)
1b: use of a Wacom tablet
2. writing
3. Web browsing
4. Watching films
5. Some (mainly online) gaming (Warcraft, Call of Duty, Diablo 3)

What software do you intend on using on the computer? 
Adobe Creative Suite (photoshop, dreamweaver, indesign, illustrator, after effects, etc)
Microsoft Office
Various others

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? 
Warcraft, Call of Duty, Diablo 3
But I'm not looking for a 'Gaming Laptop'

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
Multiple programs running at the same time & multiple files

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
I store a lot of adobe fies in addition to picture resources and tutorial videos. I have 3 Samsung external HDs (2x1TB & 1x3TB) and would buy more external space if necessary.

Other Notes:

I am currently using a PC and am happy with it. I am not an Apple 'fanboy' and mostly think they are overpriced and rather too 'trendy' for my taste. But I don't rule them out.

I would prefer something portable (therefore light in weight and able to withstand travel)
Although, if necessary, I'd consider buying a second laptop for that purpose.

I cannot imagine anything less than 17 screen size - hence Apple have shot themselves in the foot (again).

I quite like the look of Samsung's offering, although haven't pinned down a model. I think they might be about to replace the Apple Mac in this area.

I also quite like Samsung's relationship with Wacom, although I am yet to try their touch screen/Wacom pen offering - that looks tempting but the tablet model may not be powerful enough for my other needs.
- again, I might consider buying a 'main' laptop and a smaller portable one (perhaps with drawing capabiity)

Needless to say, I suppose, but it has to be fast, it has to have lots of ram, a great graphic card but not get too hot - and if atall possibe, a decent battery?

Quite a big 'Christmas list', I know...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

I will recommend again (from other posts and other people) MSI Laptops, I have an MSI GT70 (i7 3.2GHz; 8GB RAM; Nvidia GTX 770M; 17.3" 1920X1080 Screen, 500GB HDD) which cost me $1350 USD for the £1500 you are saying (~$2400 US) you should be able to get a crazy one (2 SSD's and an HDD, 16GB RAM, etc)

MSI also has workstations around that pricepoint, Im not sure where they stand with gaming, but I feel like a regular laptop would be fine, now the only drawback is these things are HUGE, Im talking 2 inches thick and weighing 8+ lbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users