Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to reinstall but.......

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

If you're getting a lot of errors on the drive I'd replace it, rather than go through the time and effort to reload the current drive only to experience this same thing shortly after you finish.

You should be able to run a hard drive diagnostic from the HP BIOS, only familiar with their business lines so I don't know if this is available in the consumer lines.  If the results of that diagnostic are to replace the drive, I highly recommend it.

Edited by RKilroy, 19 November 2013 - 02:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 xendistar

xendistar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

If you're getting a lot of errors on the drive I'd replace it, rather than go through the time and effort to reload the current drive only to experience this same thing shortly after you finish.

You should be able to run a hard drive diagnostic from the HP BIOS, only familiar with their business lines so I don't know if this is available in the consuer lines.  If the results of that diagnostic are to replace the drive, I highly recommend it.

I would tend to agree with you but as the laptop is only a couple of months out of warranty the owner wants to go down the route of what the Samsung hard disk diagnostics software suggested so that if it does fail again then the owner can kick off and try to get a replacement foc.

#18 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

It sounds like you and the owner are willing to work together on the hard drive issues and that's a good thing

--- to erase the hard drive as recommended by the Samsung ESTool hard disk utility

--- Is that the plan?

#19 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

Sorry to be so fatalistic, though I have some experience with this..... bad sectors=broken disk=bin food. There is no kind way to put it. Bad sectors multiply like flies, and cannot be fixed.

#20 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

A little more direct that I was, but the same idea.  I've never heard of a program that said to erase the disk.  Like TsVk! I've never seen a disk with bad sectors last long after the first bad sectors appeared.  A full format, not quick, might fix it enough to make it usable.  I own a copy of SpinRite - https://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm and would run it so that I could see how bad the damage is, but I'd never trust a drive that it fixed for long term use.  I'll stand by my original recommendation to replace and reload.

#21 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

HDDScan is a very reliable disk analysis software, free and well accredited. Any disk, many different tests... usually my first point of call.

SpinRite, grc.com, and Steve Gibson who runs the whole thing... just google those words with charlatan, scam, lies, etc.

#22 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

I feel the hard drive should be replaced also but if the decision is to pursue erasing the hard drive that's their choice and they can post back on the results

I don't have the experience to know what normal recommendations result when running a hard disk test 

--- I don't know the definition of what erasing the hard drive is but until I could see some explanations, erasing the hard drive might mean a major cleaning

--- If there is a code or description that the hard drive has failed and should be replaced, I'd like to believe that would be there

--- Either way, as already stated, even if it's possible to erase the hard drive and get the computer running ok again, I do feel it's just a matter of time before the hard drive will still need to be replaced

--- Oh an incident just came to my mind similar to our thinking. A few years ago a friend of mine had trouble with her hard drive. I don't recall the specifics but she took it to Staples. They told her they could clean it but the system should be backed up so it could be restored back onto the clean hard drive. Yep the computer ran well after that but for only about 6, maybe 7 months and yes the hard drive did need replacement 

#23 xendistar

xendistar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:10 AM

As I said previously I am using the Samsung diagnostic tools (ESTools) to check the hard disk. I got around to checking the hard disk out on the samsung web site, it is out of warranty with them as well, I have told the owner and also given the owner the cost of a new drive as well (but I know they can do without the cost just before xmas)  and left it up to them to decide what they want to do. I have managed to get about 98% of their data off the disk so they wont have lost a much.

Going to wipe it with EStool tonight and then see what state the drive is in after that, but yes I agree if it was my disk I would be buying a new disk.

#24 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:05 AM

Lots of good advice/suggestions above, here's my .02 --follow this guide,,, How to Clean Reinstall a Factory OEM Windows 7

Edit to Add: if it was my disk I would be buying a new disk. I'm in complete agreement FWIW. :hello:

Edited by Union_Thug, 20 November 2013 - 06:55 AM.

#25 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:57 AM

I thought when you said the computer was given to you that it was yours

So yes you are making the right decisions by going by the owners requests but I hope they understand that you know what needs to be done

#26 xendistar

xendistar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

I thought when you said the computer was given to you that it was yours

So yes you are making the right decisions by going by the owners requests but I hope they understand that you know what needs to be done

No it is a relatives laptop who has given it to me to sort out as she has no tech ability what so ever and can not afford the cost of a repair shop to get it sorted. I have told her that long term the disk will need replacing and that I don't even know if I can get the laptop back up and running with the current hard disk. Having told her that the disk is out of warranty she is resigned to the fact that she will need to purchase a new one at some stage.

#27 xendistar

xendistar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

Thought I had better give you all an update after all the advice that was offered.

Having got majority of the data of the disk (there were some error along the way)  I then wiped the disk and then went through what ESTools (Samsung disk diagnostic) suggested. Now I don't know if it is the same thing as I was told never to do to a hard disk but the program ran a low level format on the hard drive. I let it complete its task and once it had done so I put the Win7 DVD I had downloaded from the address supplied earlier in this post and installed Win7. It Installed quite happily and accepted the product key from the label on the underside of the laptop (I let out a loud sigh when that happened). One of the directories I was able to recover from the disk was the SWTool folder which included all the drivers as well so I installed all the drivers and then let Windows run its updates and that is where I am now. Window & is installed all devices are working disk diagnostics cant find a fault with the disk but that is not to say I trust it. The laptop goes back to its owner tomorrow with the recommendation that she gets a new hard disk as soon funds permit.

Thanks for all your help....................................now if anybody knows anything about Windows 8.1 and US-UK keyboard problems, check out my question in the windows 8 forum please ;)

#28 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for your feedback. Happy computing :busy:

#29 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members