Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to reinstall but.......

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 xendistar

xendistar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

A relative has given me their Laptop (Win 7 Home Premium) to look at as it was refusing to boot up completely, after a lots of tests I ended up running the Samsung ESTool hard disk utility which posted many error. The recommendation at the end of the test from the estool software was to erase the hard disk. Problem is the user does not have a any disks for the laptop (she never made any), the Laptop wont boot so I cant make any, and I have no way of knowing if the area's that are producing the error are in the two support partitions (the errors are obviously in the main partition which why it wont boot). I do have original and genuine copies of Window 7 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate, can I load one of them and down grade it to Home Pro and use the key which is on the label on the base of the laptop?

Is there any other alternatives?

Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

The first thing that comes to my mind is to order the factory restore discs from the manufacturer

I would think you can use one of the original and genuine copies of Window 7 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate, if you wish. However if the one you choose is licensed for only one computer it isn't necessary to downgrade to Home Premium even if it's possible

I've never used them but I have read that there are Linux based tools that can probably help you get the computer back up & running but since there's a recommendation to erase the hard disk that creates an additional drawback 

--- It wouldn't surprise me that the hard disk might need to be replaced

#3 SuperComputer

SuperComputer

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

Try ERD commander for windows 7. 

it will autofind boot errors and fix them... (except bad sectors)

Moderator Edit: removed inappropriate Link

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 November 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#4 xendistar

xendistar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

It is not a boot error, the hard disk has a lot of bad sectors according to ESTools which is recommending wiping the disk. I can copy the user data off the disk that is not a problem (assuming it is not in stored in the bad sector area's). The problem lie in the fact that I don't have any win7 home premium to reinstall the OS (drivers etc can be downloaded from HP)

#5 SuperComputer

SuperComputer

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Here you are:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7e935b85-be88-4138-af34-65514926fc39/windows-7-home-premium-for-hp

enjoy  :woot:

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'm curious: is the original OS of the computer Windows 7 Home Premum?

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

bad sectors... throw away, buy new disk.

get ISO here (legal)

Download drivers from manufacturer.

Use legal key to activate then install drivers on first run.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

Another curiosity comes to mind. I checked out the ISO link but a legal activation key is needed and I'm under the impression the user doesn't have a legal activation key

--- Isn't it less expensive to acquire the actual discs for the computer from the manufacturer than to acquire a product/activation key from Microsoft?

--- But then I suppose that route can make sense if the original OS wasn't Windows 7 wouldn't it?

BTW, I am keeping note of that ISO just in case I could use it someday without having to look around for it

I do agree it looks like the hard drive should be replaced

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

normally the key is on a sticker on laptops... if not, one should definitely acquire manufacturer discs for legal install. The key is already paid for with the machine, no need to buy another one off microsoft.

#10 xendistar

xendistar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

Another curiosity comes to mind. I checked out the ISO link but a legal activation key is needed and I'm under the impression the user doesn't have a legal activation key

--- Isn't it less expensive to acquire the actual discs for the computer from the manufacturer than to acquire a product/activation key from Microsoft?

--- But then I suppose that route can make sense if the original OS wasn't Windows 7 wouldn't it?

BTW, I am keeping note of that ISO just in case I could use it someday without having to look around for it

I do agree it looks like the hard drive should be replaced

The laptop does have a legal activation key on the underside for Win 7 Home Premium

Cost for replacement disks £33 plus delivery

Win 7 Home Premium is the installed OS that came with the Laptop

#11 xendistar

xendistar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

bad sectors... throw away, buy new disk.

get ISO here (legal)

Download drivers from manufacturer.

Use legal key to activate then install drivers on first run.

Thanks for the lInk

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

Let us know if you have any probs with the driver installs. :thumbsup2:

#13 xendistar

xendistar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

I was looking at that earlier, on, I have the HP driver page for the laptop page but as I cant get in the laptop I cant see what hardware is installed in the laptop so like networking, there are 12 different drivers available. It is going to be fun :huh:

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

if you boot from a Linux live cd, then run "lspci" from the shell/command line it will tell you exactly what components are on the system.

It will run that with no Installation on the system even... even without a hard drive.

edit: here's a list of live cd's, almost any one of them will do it.

http://www.linux.com/directory/Distributions/livecd

edit: edit: there's a mob of other commands as well for checking hardware specs you may not see, just search commands for whichever particular cd you use (on google). Many are the same, some vary a bit.

Edited by TsVk!, 18 November 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

Great updates. One of these days I wish I could put Linux tools into perspective 

If you order the replacement discs from HP for your make/model, I suspect the drivers are included also

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users