Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook won't boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hi All:

Mr Bruce 1959 has suggested I re-post my problem here so here goes:

A few weeks ago I started to download DVDShrink from what looked like a perfectly legitimate company site. After I clicked to download the program it began instead to install itself. At the same time all kinds of alarms went off - Comodo, Malwarebytes, etc. - and I quickly shut down.

After booting up I ran a quick Mbam scan and it found 32 infected files which I deleted. I then ran a full Mbam scan and it found a bunch more. Later I also ran full Mbam and Avast scans but this time around neither came up with anything.

For a few days everything ran OK but then Firefox began to freeze up whenever I brought up a web page with a Youtube video on it. Then other things started to freeze - Task Manager, etc. - and now it's reached the stage that the computer won't boot. The computer won't even start in Safe Mode. At best it just brings up my mouse pointer (which works) and the Windows Welcome screen but nothing more.

Different Windows messages have appeared at times one of which said something to the effect that Windows was stopping to prevent further damage. There is a separate RECOVERY partition on the D drive for restoring the computer to factory settings but I can't access it.

Pressing the F keys on startup bring up the following screens while pressing the ESC key on startup brings up a menu listing all five of these options::

F1 - System Information

F2 - Advanced System Diagnostics

F9 - Boot Manager with 3 options:

1. Hard Drive;

2. CD/DVD Rom Drive;

3. Network Adapter.

I shifted to #2 and booted but the only disc I have is a Win 7 System Repair Boot Disc. This kicked in, started running, and then fizzled out.

F10 - BIOS Setup

F11 - System Recovery. This gives 2 options:

1. Start Windows Normally;

2. Launch Startup Repair.

I've run both of these many times and always with the same result - they fizzle out leaving the Windows welcome screen + mouse pointer or sometimes just a blank screen.

Any advice members could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to my earlier topic about this problem so you'll know what has already been tried:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/513983/win-7-hp-pavilion-dv7-notebook-frozen/

Edited by scratcher, 17 November 2013 - 12:23 PM.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

I'll report this topic to appropriate helpers.

1. Please let us know what Windows version you have and if it's 32- or 64-bit.
2. Is the computer bootable in any mode?

Hold on there....

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

Hi Broni:

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium (x64).

I'm not sure what you mean by "bootable in any mode".

The computer turns on but doesn't boot.

Using the F keys at startup (as described in my Post #1 above) I can bring up various screens but no matter what I do the furthest it gets in the boot process is to bring up the Windows Welcome screen and my mouse pointer.

Then it just stops.

Edited by scratcher, 17 November 2013 - 09:30 PM.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:30 AM

Hello, my apologies for the delay. Please let me know if you still need assistance with this issue.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hi Elise:

Yes, unfortunately I do still require assistance. The computer remains unbootable.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,243 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Hi, can you please try the following?
  • Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.
    :spacer:
  • If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account an click Next.
    Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.
    To make a repair disk on Windows 7 consult: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
    • Insert the installation disc.
    • Restart your computer.
    • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next.
  • On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
    Startup Repair
    System Restore
    Windows Complete PC Restore
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Command Prompt

Select Command Prompt
    :spacer:
  • Once in the Command Prompt:
    • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
    • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
    • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
    • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
      Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
    • The tool will start to run.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press Scan button.
    • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#7 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

Thanks for your response.

The situation has now changed.

Could you please close this topic.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,243 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:08 AM

Topic closed as requested.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users