Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New system crashing during certain tasks (not overheating)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scottfin324

scottfin324

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

Hello everyone,

So I was not sure where to post this thread as I cannot identify what is causing my system to crash. But first, my specs:

MB:  990fxa-ud3 AM3+

CPU: AMD FX 8350 (not OC'ing anything at this point)

RAM: G. Skill 2x8GB DDR3

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 760

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600W

Okay so now the issue. My computer is crashing or powering off instantaneously at certain times when I am using it. It reliably starts up, and I have never had a crash during boot or BIOS. After a crash, I cannot power on my computer. If I wait for hours, I still cannot power on the computer. The only way I can restart is to unplug the power cord from the wall and/or the PSU multiple times until I can power on.  

When this crash occurs, my computer is completely powering off in an instant. I feel I can hear clicking noises (maybe from the PSU?), and maybe sometimes when the crashes occur. So what is strange about this is that the crashes were predictable. If I used opera internet browser, it would crash almost immediately, while windows internet explorer was mostly okay (still occasional seemingly random crashes). So what is even weired is that Steam software tended to crash the computer, though I could play Rome Total War 2 through Steam (which is very computer intensive) with almost no crashing (I cannot remember it crashing during play). However when I tried to play a different game, XCOM Enemy Unknown, it would crash during the loading screen right when the game was showing the Firaxis logo. Anyway, I formatted the HDD, installed a fresh Windows OS, and ran several updates and downloads last night, and the computer stayed on for 8-9 hours without crashing. Today I installed drivers and installed steam and everything seemed to be working great. I loaded XCOM without problem and played for an hour or two and then the crash occurred again. I restarted and tried loading the game, and now it is crashing on that same time as before. I am running a test for defective memory on each RAM stick now, but I do not think this is the problem. Im guessing its the new PSU I bought but does anyone know of a way to test this? I have a 500W PSU on this computer that I could throw into my old one if there isnt a better way.

Thanks in advance

Scottfin324

Edited by scottfin324, 17 November 2013 - 11:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

That Thermaltake TR2 is a bad PSU, not quite legendary bad, but bad enough to have a reputation.  Before I put a lot of effort into troubleshooting, I would try another PSU.  The symptoms you describe would make me think "PSU" no matter the brand.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 scottfin324

scottfin324
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

That Thermaltake TR2 is a bad PSU, not quite legendary bad, but bad enough to have a reputation.  Before I put a lot of effort into troubleshooting, I would try another PSU.  The symptoms you describe would make me think "PSU" no matter the brand.

spot on. replaced it with my nearly decade old 500W antec and it works perfectly. if anyone sees this, do not buy the TR2. my first two thermaltake products i bought for this PC. hopefully this isnt an incompetent brand. they have a 5 year warranty so maybe i can get a replacement from them. ill keep everyone posted in case anyone is thinking about buying a thermaltake product 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users