Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive constantly busy for some reason.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bjk360

bjk360

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

Greetings,

A week or so ago I have noticed that my hard drive is constantly busy for some reason even when the system is idle. I can hear that it is constantly busy and the hard drive light is constantly indicating activity. I started noticing it a few days ago. I have run both Malwarebyes (trial version) and Superantispyware (paid-for-version) and they don't find anything.

After researching the net, I disovered a post that said to enable I/O reads and I/O other to determine what is running. I noticed Sascore64.exe had a very high I/O read value. Turns out that this file is part of Superantispyware and was listed as good on many websites. I also noticed csrss.exe also had a very high value. After researching this one I found it to be good as well. I also checked the location of this file to determine if it was in the proper place and it was. I did not disable this one.

I decided to stop the sascore64 process and see if the hard drive activity would slow or stop. After stopping it, the hard drive activity remained constant.

Question is, since I have never noticed this much activity with the hard drive even in the idle state, is there a possible virus at work? I have scanned with both programs listed above and they don't find anything. One week ago or so, there was a windows update that ran. Is it possible this had something to do with this, as it is the only thing that has really changed in the last week.

My Specs:

HP Pavilion DX7

Windows 7

Best Wishes ,

B

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

- Right-click on taskbar and select Task Manager.

- In Task Manager, select Performance Tab.
- Click on Resource Monitor button.
- Select Disk tab.
- Under Process with Disk activity you can see which programs are accessing your hard disk.

Which programs do you see? If possible attach a snapshot in your post.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

Thanks Romeo,... I've been using 3rd party software for this. Dunno how I didn't find it after all this time. :thumbsup2:

#4 bjk360

bjk360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

Greeting,

I tried to post a screen shot but it tells me that I am not allowed to use that extension on this forum. I did a screen capture and saved it in the paint program and then tried to post it here. Maybe there is a another way?

Best Wishes,

B

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png

Edited by dc3, 23 November 2013 - 12:45 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Kirbert

Kirbert

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:05 PM

I FOUND IT!  It's a stupid piece of software called Seagate Dashboard, and it automatically installs itself in your 'puter when you plug in a Seagate external hard drive.  For some reason, this POS does something cyclically, about once a second.  Whatever it's doing involves RAM, and as usual Windows -- in combination with anti-virus software, which for some reason uses a dreadful lot of RAM -- has all the RAM occupied, so the machine has to resort to virtual RAM and starts driving the HD.  Getting the virtual RAM adjusted takes about a second -- just long enough for Seagate Dashboard to hit it AGAIN.  The system is constantly occupied with this cyclic RAM fiddling, which doesn't show up as an activity (!) and prevents anything else from working right.

Fix is simple:

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools

double-click on Services

scroll down the list to find Seagate Dashboard Service

right-click on it and hit "Stop".  Things will get a LOT better immediately!

right-click on it again and change "automatic" to "manual" -- or perhaps even "disable" -- so it won't bother you any more.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:12 PM

This will serve as a reminder to us all to disable Autorun/Autoplay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users