Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to ping wifi pc on network with 2 routers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dragonsen

Dragonsen

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:50 AM

So, I have two routers on my home network. The first one, Belkin F9K1001 has an IP of 10.12.5.55 / subnet 255.255.255.0. The second one, D-Link WBR-2310 A, has an IP of 10.12.5.65 with same subnet. Both routers have wifi enabled with same SSID & security. The Belkin has DHCP enabled but the D-link doesn't. I have two pcs wired to the Belkin, Circe with IP of 10.12.5.100 & Zeus with IP of 10.12.5.101. Another cord goes from the LAN (NOT WAN) to another LAN port on my D-Link. My D-Link is connected to another PC, a network printer, and bluray player (for netflix) via network cords. I have a wireless computer running windows XP that connects to the D-Link. It has an IP of 10.12.5.106. I have a laptop running Windows 8.1 that connects wirelessly also, with IP of 10.12.5.108. Neither wifi pc can be pinged from Zeus (10.12.5.101) but the Win8.1 can ping back. The WinXP cannot. Basically, I need to be able to ping all possible devices from any other possible device on my network. I can see all the computers however in the network neighborhood on all pcs and connect to share files and so forth.

My apologies for posting in the wrong forum at first. I did not see the networking forum until after I had posted this. Feel free to move this to the appropriate forum.

Moderator Edit: Moved to Networking forum Per OP from Internal hardware

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 November 2013 - 12:25 PM.

"Knowledge is the gathering of useless information."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

Is there a reason you have them configured this way?  Essentially they are on different non-routable networks, hence the issue.  If you put both routers on the same network that should resolve your issue.

You can check out this page for more information on setting up two wireless routers on the same network.

#3 Dragonsen

Dragonsen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

How are they not on the same network? The WIFI networks have the exact same information. The D-Link has the capability of assigning static IPs so I was trying to enable that router to be the DHCP server. Since my initial post though, I have purchased another router, a Netgear that I have flashed to have DD-WRT so I have turned my other two routers into access points only. The Netgear has an IP of 10.12.5.75. The Belkin still has an IP of 10.12.5.55 and the D-Link 10.12.5.65. I still can't ping my laptop nor can my laptop ping other computers but my laptop can see the other computers in Network neighborhood and the other computers can see it in the same manner. The router and two access points all have the exact same wifi setup.

#4 jayges7

jayges7

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hello Dragonsen, let me see if I understand your setup;

Netgear (DD-WRT) is acting as the MAIN ROUTER (DHCP) with address 10.12.5.75/255.255.255.0

Belkin is acting as Access Point (NO DHCP) with address 10.12.5.55/255.255.255.0

D-Link is acting as Access Point (NO DHCP) with address 10.12.5.65/255.255.255.0

Also all the computers and devices connected to them are getting addresses from NETGEAR, right?

If this is rigth I would suggest you to check the following:

Since Netgear is connecting all devices together it also needs to move the traffic between all the devices (including access points).

NETGEAR is the MAIN ROUTER, by standards it should have either one of the following addresses:

DD-WRT- Setup- Network Setup

Option A 

IP Address:10.12.5.1 (Main routers or gateways have either the the first or the last usable address on the network by standards)

Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 10.12.5.1

Local DNS: 10.12.5.1

Option B

IP Address:10.12.5.254 (Main routers or gateways have either the the first or the last usable address on the network by standards)

Gateway: 10.12.5.254

Local DNS: 10.12.5.254

(just remember that if you changed the address in the MAIN ROUTER you will not be able to reconect via web using the old address but the new one.)

Now what you need is to change the static addresses in the two access points to something similar but remember to always point the gateway to your main router.

Ex:

BELKIN

IP Address:10.12.5.2 (or either the same address that has right now)

Gateway: 10.12.5.1 or 10.12.5.254 (points to the MAIN ROUTER depending on the option you choose)

D-LINK

IP Address:10.12.5.3 (or either the same address that has right now)

Gateway: 10.12.5.1 or 10.12.5.254 (points to the MAIN ROUTER depending on the option you choose)

If you still want to keep the same address configuration just remember to point all the traffic on the access points to the Netgear.

Will be aroundiof you have any questions.

Hope this helps you.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

Sorry, was reading one of the 5s as a 2, is my guess. 

#6 Dragonsen

Dragonsen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:28 PM

Jayges,

I checked my two access points. Neither one of them have an option to select a gateway if they are set as access points only. After renumbering everything, I have my main router/DHCP server as the Netgear DD-WRT router with an ip of 10.12.5.1. I also have that listed as the gateway in its settings as well. I can ping the wireless device from a wired device but I can't ping any wired devices from my wireless device. I can ping the other wireless device just fine though. I did setup static IPs for my wireless device due to other issues I was having.

So, after further digging it turns out that my firewall on the wired machines was blocking the PING requests. I can now ping both directions just fine. Thank you all for your assistance.

Edited by Dragonsen, 16 December 2013 - 11:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users