Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pc

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: New Computer (16 member(s) have cast votes)

make a computer or buy pre bulit e.g (dell)

1. Custom Made (13 votes [81.25%])

Percentage of vote: 81.25%

2. Pre Bulit E.G (Dell) (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

3. IMB (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Packard Bell (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Qas

Qas

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:42 PM

Hello i am going to buy 2 new computers the same computers twice (same case specs etc) and 2 screens

shall i buy custom bulid, or pre bulit E.G Dell / Packard Bell and i am going to buy 2 screens
i want:

Intel Dual Core / Amd Dual Core / Amd 64Bit
1GB Ram
160 (Sata) / (IDE)

one 2 of these machines
and maybe dell 17inch

Edited by Qas, 02 May 2006 - 02:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

You will do far better in the long run to build them yourself. OEM systems (Dell, etc.) are not very expandable and are very difficult (read: expensive) to replace components once the warranty run out. Aftermarket components, on the other hand, are stricly compatable and easy to replace or upgrade (within their technology type).

You didn't say what your budget for each system is. That will be a great help in choosing components.

#3 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:55 PM

I agree with pascor in that it's much smarter to build one. I build computers for a living so if you need something, I can tell you what the average cost will be. Also as pascor said, a budget would be nice and I could probably get a good layout for you. I suggest you build it yourself, it's wonderful to have that experience of building a computer (in your case, two). With just that basic setup, I can tell you that without extras and stricly barebone it'll run anywhere from $400 to $1,200 each, depending on what you want. As I said, post a list of what you want and I'll give you an estimate on how much you'll pay for all the parts. :thumbsup:
Also, 17 inch monitors (flat screen, LCD) go for about $150-$500 each.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#4 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:49 PM

yeh ok i want to spend 4 - 500 with screen no more then 150 each so bascally 1000 including 2 screen at 17inch is this possible with those specs?
thanks pascor

Yoda i guess your american so you wont have a price for UK but just give a prie in dollers (btw i have made 4 computers so i have the expereince lol)

Intel Dual Core 820 @ 2.8 Ghz

1 GB DDR P34200

ATI X6000

160GB Sata

DVD RW

thats it bascally and a decent Mobo

but then can i get a screen that look good witha case?

thanks

Edited by Qas, 02 May 2006 - 04:54 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,146 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:27 PM

I always put my own together. For one, I like to have the software(especially my OS) discs ,not always included in a buy.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 WereBo

WereBo

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:55 PM

Allo Qas :cool: ,

Home build for certain :thumbsup: ...

I see you're also in the UK, are you near London at all??? If so, try visiting the PC Fair held in King's College near Tottenham Court Road. It's held every Saturday at various buildings, depending on availability at the time :inlove: ...

You can expect to get everything you need for approx 1/2 - 2/3 retail price. Be prepared for a large crowd pressing in though, it does get rather packed at times :flowers: !!!

Failing that, are there any PC fairs held in any cities near you??

:trumpet:

Posted Image

Humus hic parumper venatus of militis

#7 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:37 AM

yeh there is one in starford yeh i live in london lol.

Ok but how woudl the warrenty work in those fairs ?

I dont want to buy it 2 months down the line its messed up and will i be able to get a matching case and screen.

Also last thing

Shall i wait till Vista? and bulid the machien then so i know the specs

what do you guyes recomend i have intel dual core atm
shall i go AMD 64 ?

thanks

#8 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:35 AM

Don't get the 820!!! More expensive and has slower FSB than 920!!!

820: 533mhz FSB ~$250
920: 800mhz FSB ~$210 and less heat!!

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#9 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:05 PM

Ok, I ran it and it'll cost about 600 euros each ($750). This is with case, 450W PSU, HDD, 1GB memory, decent mobo, AMD Athlon 64 (2.0GHz x64 or 4.0GHz x32), 17" monitor, X600 video, DVD burner.
With the Intel is comes to about 650 euros ($800).

I highly suggest getting AMD; it's cheaper and runs a lot better. I also suggest a different vid card, there are better ones for cheaper which may fit your budget (the vid card was $125 or about 100 euros). It can probably knock the price down to about 80 euros ($100) and make your budget better.

EDIT: Plus about 70 euros ($80) shipping and also money for your OS and other software.

And to legoman, the reason the 820 is more expensive is because it has more L2 cache (which is still stupid to raise the price that much for when it has everything else less than the 920).

Edited by TheYoda, 03 May 2006 - 04:09 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#10 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:27 PM

okkk i understand.

But then what i am worried about now i want to screen 17 inch (19inch if not that much diffrent in price) that will match the case.

Thanks Yoda for clearing that up and legoman786 thaks for that i really needed someone to tell me cause i would of been ripped off

#11 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:29 PM

The 820 has 1MB cache per CPU, and the 920 has 2MB cache per CPU. The reason that the 820 is more expensive is because it is old technology and nobody is buying it. My eye is twitching right now, and I will just leave it at that.

Edited by legoman786, 03 May 2006 - 10:30 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#12 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

The screen that I picked out matches the case fine. This is the link to the case and monitor that I used for the estimate:
Case
Monitor
And the 19" LCDs are about 160 euros each ($200). So it's about a 32 euro ($40) difference for each.

legoman: My mistake, I read the description wrong and got them confused. Thanks for clearing that up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users